Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it's a peice of crap...if ya have one, I'll give ya 50 bucks for it for scrap metal......

J/K...pretty damn good manual trans...everyone seems to want one. Myself included.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
a 5 speed heavy duty manual, with a 5.6 first gear (for a dodge nv4500 anyways) and a .7 overdrive.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If you know anyone with a mid 90's chev with a 5spd, it could be a NV4500 as well. My pop has one, and it's a good tranny.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It's almost a direct fit replacement for the NP-435.. It has all the good stuff the 435 has, like the top loader design (no linkages), crawl-up-a-wall granny gear, and cast-iron gears.. Very desirable in itself.. The reason everyone wants one is for the O/D.. I don't think any other tranny gives you all that PLUS O/D.. I think the only modifications you'd have to make to swap from a 435 is change the crossmember (this tranny was an option on older Rams, so bolt-ins are out there), and you'd have to shorten the rear and lengthen the front driveshafts by 2 inches or so because it's a longer case.. They go for somewhere around $2k new, but IF you can find one in a junkyard, it's bound to be in pretty good shape. These things are damn near bulletproof. If you have the opportunity to get one cheap, pounce on it. It's a great swap. (IIRC, the Chebby/Phord versions won't work due to different input/output shaft spline counts)

Matt {peace}

1 - 5 of 5 Posts