Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the rag joint have a diffenent name? I went down to pepboys and they didn't have it on their computer. I thought it was the joint between the shaft and the gearbox but maybe I'm mistaken. Also does a new one come with a Borgeson shaft, I've got one on order?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The borg should replace all of that, i beblieve that is the reason to get them, i don't have the borg unit

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Somebody else verify this.

I always thought the rag joint was the flexible coupling on the steering shaft. It's designed to collapse in a front end impact instead of driving the steering column through your chest.

Ted

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
cooper30 said:
Somebody else verify this.

I always thought the rag joint was the flexible coupling on the steering shaft. It's designed to collapse in a front end impact instead of driving the steering column through your chest.

Ted
It is the flexible coupling, but that is not what colapses in an impact it is the shaft in a shaft design that colapases

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
the rag joint is a round peice of rubber inbetween the colum and the steering shaft you can find it in the help section of the auto parts store they usaly dont have them behind the counter,the borgeson dosent come with one included but should be replaced if you install one

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I got it. According to different folks I talked with "rag joint" is a slang name. At the auto parts store its called a "steering coupling disc". All its meant to do is reduce road vibration like Pat mentioned above. What it is is a piece of rubber. It can be found in the HELP! section of the autoparts store just like Bogie said. For anyone else who wants to know its HELP! # is 31000. The company who makes HELP! is called Motormite. They cost about 5 bucks and I am a proud owner of a new one. My Borgeson shaft just came in yesteday so today is install day. UhOh. :eek:

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Or it could be found in a tire and you cut it out to shape

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, now, all this time I thought a "Rag Joint" was a bar or hangout, where, every time you went, everyone started verbally hacking on you :mad:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
sloppy_steering said:
Ok, I got it. According to different folks I talked with "rag joint" is a slang name. At the auto parts store its called a "steering coupling disc". All its meant to do is reduce road vibration like Pat mentioned above. What it is is a piece of rubber. It can be found in the HELP! section of the autoparts store just like Bogie said. For anyone else who wants to know its HELP! # is 31000. The company who makes HELP! is called Motormite. They cost about 5 bucks and I am a proud owner of a new one. My Borgeson shaft just came in yesteday so today is install day. UhOh. :eek:
I just picked this up today, because my steering wheel has about 2" of slop each way from the pot coupler being trashed. I figured while I've got the shaft out, I'd replace the joint. The stock joint is rusted pretty bad, and I don't want to use any of the old hardware, but the hardware that comes with the 31000 is nothing like what's on the stock joint... It comes with 2 hex bolts, 3 different size half-threaded pins, a stud bolt, and a tall nut... Can someone explain this before I take it apart? Or do I have to use the old hardware and clean it up?
Thanks,

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
sloppy_steering said:
I just picked this up today, because my steering wheel has about 2" of slop each way from the pot coupler being trashed. I figured while I've got the shaft out, I'd replace the joint. The stock joint is rusted pretty bad, and I don't want to use any of the old hardware, but the hardware that comes with the 31000 is nothing like what's on the stock joint... It comes with 2 hex bolts, 3 different size half-threaded pins, a stud bolt, and a tall nut... Can someone explain this before I take it apart? Or do I have to use the old hardware and clean it up?
Thanks,

Matt {peace}
I had to use all of my old hardware on the rag joint with my borgeson, none of the new bolts fit.

·
7,995 Posts
Item Number: 31000
Description: Steering Coupling
Brand: MOTORMITE
Application: GM, Ford and Chrysler 1976 & up. Includes various hardware to cover various app

Detail Buyers Guide

Attributes:
Type : Steering Coupling Disc
Size : 3-3/16" dia

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Hey, I'm about to get a Borgeson shaft.

Is this rag joint any better than the HELP one? (from Summit Racing)

BRG-941 Rag Joint, Rubber Disc, OEM: Dodge 1979-93; Chevy/GMC 1972-91; BRG-Shaft Replac. Monday $14.99

Thanks,
Ted

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
cooper30 said:
Hey, I'm about to get a Borgeson shaft.

Is this rag joint any better than the HELP one? (from Summit Racing)

BRG-941 Rag Joint, Rubber Disc, OEM: Dodge 1979-93; Chevy/GMC 1972-91; BRG-Shaft Replac. Monday $14.99

Thanks,
Ted
I don't know if it is better, but that is the one I got. The hardware that came with it didn't fit, so I reused the old stuff.
You are going to notice a huge difference with that borgeson, gotta say you are doing the right thing ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.