Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 RC, I want to put 2 hooks up front for for the next time I need help getn' unstuck.  Not sure exactly where to put em' other than on the frame. 

Where is a strong reliable spot? and how bout bumpers?  I have stock bumpers, Are there aftermarket bumpers that would be better?  All help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The frame is the only place to put them

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Frame or D-rings on the axles themselves.  There are a few aftermarket bumpers but they have all been out of production for years.  You can have them custom fabricated though.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
If you look at the front of each frame rail there will be one hole and a rivet in the crossmember that will match up with a set of generic hooks, i always add a set to start with there.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Buckstop Truckware has winch bumpers for the pre-94. They have a 2" receiver and light cut outs standard, as well as different options.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Bogie said:
If you look at the front of each frame rail there will be one hole and a rivet in the crossmember that will match up with a set of generic hooks, i always add a set to start with there.

I would avoid those hooks like the plague. A buddy of mine calls them "widow makers" after one bend straight releasing the winch line and sending him out of control back into the hollow where we were pulling him out. I would also avoid any stock type hook like found on most GM trucks and the '94 and up Rams. You need an anchor point and hook or D-ring that will handle the weight of your vehicle in addition to whatever extra force is required to pull the vehicle over an obstacle, out of mud, etc. Basically, your tow points need to be rated as high as a properly chosen winch for the same vehicle.

Duffy said:
Buckstop Truckware has winch bumpers for the pre-94. They have a 2" receiver and light cut outs standard, as well as different options.
I always forget about places like Buckstop. Mainly because very few people want to pay $1,500 and up for a bumper.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If I didn't have to bail my brother out after he totaled his truck (spent about $3500 to get him a new truck) {rant}, I was going to get one with the lights and winch.  But maybe in a few months after I get the credit card bill down a bit. ::)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bogie said:

i have my hooks there. mangled my frame badly by using them. be gentle while using hooks there.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'm surprised on the number of issues there have been with the hooks in this location, I have put theses on every Dodge I ever owned and never had a issue. I wonder if the fact that I always use both hooks with a equalizer sling is a factor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alot depends on the person assisting you.. Make sure he realizes the slack needs to be slowly removed before giving her the onion.. I've seen some hill billys get a twenty foot launch before hitting the end of the cable.. Idiots..  ;D

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I bolted a 1/2 inch plate (might be overkill) across the bottom of the front crossmember and mounted fordstuperduty loops on it.  I've bent the GM hooks but the loops are way tough!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a hook up in the hills while shooten and Harbor Freight has hooks and hoops, I'm not hard core off roader but spend a lot of time out in the woods, I want to be able to assist others if needed or myself, so what's a better hook or hoop? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I don't think that hardcore or not has anything to do with how or where you should mount hooks or loops (I would say loops are best) - if you only have to use them once and they fly off or bend the frame then you may as well put the strap around your mirror and pull on that!  Planning to be gentle with tow hooks is not a good plan.  I have learned the hard way that we just can't cut corners with some things and this is a big one, if you put them on it better not be for looks.

The nice thing about hooks is that you can just put the strap right on and go.  With a loop you need a shackle or D-ring but I like knowing it's not coming off.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
My front bumper is my hardpoint:

It holds the winch and I can pull with it or loop a strap or chain around the face bar of the bumper and pull with that. Eventually I will probably add a set of D-rings off a Deuce or 5 ton military truck also.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
this is a picture of my rear!

and the front.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that setup is it hangs down off the bottom.  Around here something like that would get you hung up on a rock and since it's your tow point you are hung up on, it's usually pretty hard to get anything to it to hook to it.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
certainly a concern but I'm just gonna hook up the strap before I go do something stupid and tie it in the box.  around here I'm more likely to hang up on a stump (been there done that) so I bought a saw!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.