Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting to get rid of my piece of crap K5 blazer to get a good ole dodge truck. What was the last year dodge full sized 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck were offered with carbeurators form the factory? ??? I dont want any stupid computer or fuel injection running things on y impending dodge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i think it was 89. there are probably some overlaps to work out the bugs. theres nothin easier than a good tuned carb. (unless you wheel upside down)

·
Registered
321 Posts
As far as i know some 88's and all 89's were fuel injected. I t is easy to change back to a carb, if you find the right truck

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
the 318 became EFI/TBI in 88, the 360 in 89....or to put it the other way around: last year for the carb 318 was 87, last year for the carb 360 was 88

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If you want to get technical there was an option for a 360 4 bbl in a 1 ton in 90 or 91. If your wanting to stay completely away from computers then your looking at early and mid 80's truck. Alot of the mid to late 80's trucks had spark control computers.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
chrysler300le said:
If you want to get technical there was an option for a 360 4 bbl in a 1 ton in 90 or 91. If your wanting to stay completely away from computers then your looking at early and mid 80's truck. Alot of the mid to late 80's trucks had spark control computers.
get a 1974-79 ramcharger, i can gaurantee none of them had fuel injection from the factory

eric

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
intenseimages said:
get a 1974-79 ramcharger, i can gaurantee none of them had fuel injection from the factory

eric
Or computers

Ed

·
Registered
365 Posts
oon my 88 R/c federal its 360 4 brl and it was supposed to be the last year that carbs where standard issue on the R/C and trucks where the year before
ken

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
KEN-E said:
oon my 88 R/c federal its 360 4 brl and it was supposed to be the last year that carbs where standard issue on the R/C and trucks where the year before
ken
actually ken , the last year for carbed 360's as was stated before was 88, 360's went to efi in 89

eric

·
Registered
90 Posts
my 87 short bed was carbed without spark control it was a 1/2 tn. my dad bought a 3/4 tn 87 that had the spark control. i was great for gas mileage but the computer took a crap all the time and they're not cheap.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
well as they got farther into the 80s they had more and more emitions control crap on them. then they got to fuel injection. either take an early 80s truck and drop in a fresh emition free motor you build or get an old, 70s style truck.

me, my dad, and one of his friends are putting the finishing touches on an 85 3/4 ton ram we built. its got a 78 400 big block in it, eledbroke performer, nice rv cam, true duals, and an eledbroke 750 carb. most of the stuff was just parts we had and it sounds awesome. you could go that route.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Or you could buy a 92 or 93 with a Magnum engine. The Fuel Injection system on them is fairly reliable. With some reading you could fully understand how it works. I think Fuel Injection is the best thing thats ever happened to a car. Once you've had a FI vehicle for awhile its hard to go back and drive anything carburated.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
chrysler300le said:
Or you could buy a 92 or 93 with a Magnum engine. The Fuel Injection system on them is fairly reliable. With some reading you could fully understand how it works. I think Fuel Injection is the best thing thats ever happened to a car. Once you've had a FI vehicle for awhile its hard to go back and drive anything carburated.
Depends how well your carb is setup and whether or not you are able to tune it. I would agree that there is nothing like the "get in and go" factor of EFI, but I don't have any problem letting my '87 warm up for about 60 seconds before I take off. She is cold blodded for that first minute though (BTW--I am horrible at tuning holley carbs...)

-SM

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if u must have carb, get the 74-79 pop top RC, or 78 older truck with a big block. but i agree with 300le, i wouldnt trade my 89 and 90 TBI for anything except a magnum with MPFI.

Duane

1 - 14 of 14 Posts