Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you want more gearing options you could do a 203/205 doubler, then you'd be cool ;)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
205 and 241 are both good choices. Basically decide between ultimate strength and better ratio. (Neither is weak.)I don't feel ultimate strength ranks as high with a small V8 and auto.

·
Administrator
61,006 Posts
My preference is a 203. After that, I would take any of the rest I have used and abused 203's, 208's, and 241's. I know the 241 is considered as stronger, but I would not take a 208 out to put a 241 in.

The original hummer used a 242, which is a full time case, very similar to the 241. Most of the problems I know about, were all related to the crazy transfer case cooler they had. Otherwise it handled the weight of the hummer quite well.

It all comes down to abuse. One of the worst things for any part of the drive train, is getting stuck, ice, snow, mud, and of it is hard. The forward and reverse shifting, giving gas, and then hitting the brakes, ect. I have broken U-joints, and differentials trying to get unstuck.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
If you want something that is going to outlast the truck, don't mess around with used junk go straight for an Atlas.
I've been running my 205 that came with my truck over 47 years ago.
I did go through it twice... the first time because I thought I was getting a noise out of it. Waste of time. I needed a C/V joint on my rear driveshaft.
The second time because I had over 500,000 since the last time I went through it.
It was still fine inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure you pick a transfer case that can provide the correct output for your speedometer.

2wd trannies have the speedo output at the back of the trans. 4wd setups have the speedo output at the transfer case. Newer 241s dont have provisions for the old style speedo outputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Newer 241s dont have provisions for the old style speedo outputs.
What year does that change? Quite sure it's all mechanical on our 93-older trucks - at the tcase end. (Not the dash.)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
What year does that change? Quite sure it's all mechanical on our 93-older trucks - at the tcase end. (Not the dash.)
My 95 Ram SLT 1500 4x4 had plug in electric wire for the speedometer, so the old style was gone by then.

Bucky

·
Registered
548 Posts
Curious, what tcase was used in the next gens? 94+ 2500 series?

·
Registered
30,039 Posts
I think it was still a NP241 but had front output on driver's side.

Bucky

they had the 231 LD and 241 HD pretty much the same t-case but the 231 had a smaller chain

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
548 Posts
just curious, I’m going to look at a 94 2500 5.9 gasser later today. 4wd 82k miles. family friend wants to part ways with it

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
All I've seen in the 94-02 are 241's (LD or HD)... including a 96 ram 1500 I had.

If they used a 231 also... v6 truck?

·
Administrator
61,006 Posts
From the new venture page on All Par.

Starting in 1994, four wheel drive Dodge Rams used a part-time, synchronized transfer case (NV231, NV241, or NV241HD) which had four wheel drive low and neutral modes along with rear wheel drive and high-gear four wheel drive. The low-range ratio was 2.72 and there was no center different

The NV 231 HD transfer case used on Ram 1500 was a strengthened version of the one used on the Dakota; it had a larger main shaft and a wider chain and sprockets for greater durability. It was lighter and shifted more smoothly than the transfer case used in the Ram 150.

The NV 241 was standard on Ram 2500 and was a modified version of the transfer case used for both D150 and D250 models; the changes were a new housing and shifter mechanism. Jeep also used this in standard and NV241OR "Rock-Trac" form; the latter had a center differential and 4.0 low ratio.

The new NV 241 HD transfer case was standard on all Ram 3500s and on 2500s with 8800-pound GVWR, optional on the 2500 with 7500 pound GVWR. Shifting was easier due to a larger synchronizer, and it was 58 pounds lighter than its predecessor. For durability, it had a wider chain and sprockets than the NV 241 transfer case.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
From the new venture page on All Par.
Take it with a grain of salt....

My '96 ram1500 had a 241 LD. (Maybe because it was v8 and 5spd?)

The 241 HD is optional on the 8800# gvwr and up. That's how you get a pto. The LD is most common even at 8800 gvwr. For the dually, perhaps having pto was more common than not.

The regular jeep 241's are designated 241J. (i.e.Grand Cherokee or Liberty.)

·
Administrator
61,006 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt....
LOL, You are so right, With Dodge everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
just curious, I’m going to look at a 94 2500 5.9 gasser later today. 4wd 82k miles. family friend wants to part ways with it
I wouldn't mind having one of these, provided it wasn't rusted or beat to death. IIRC all 94's were regular cabs. My 95 1500 5.9 4x4 was great, I only had to get rid of it to get my first mortgage. Big mistake.

Bucky

21 - 36 of 36 Posts