Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal it is by the end of the year to buy an A518 with a transfer case to swap my truck to 4X4. I wanted to know in everyone's option. What would be the absolute best Transfer Case to bolt to it?

I plan to find a Dana 44 to put in the front. Maybe a Dana 60 but thats unlikely, Kinda depends on what available at the time. I see stuff thrown around like NP204, NP205, and so on. I also do not know the differences between them all. maybe some NP 101 Class would be helpful!

Best Regards,

Gents

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
I'll start at the beginning (for our trucks).

72 to 74, they had a NP205 divorced(not hanging off the back of the transmission)
75 to 79, they had the NP203, full time, meaning all the wheels get power all the time.
80 to 86(I think), they had the NP208 for most trucks (more on that in a min).
87 to 93 they had the NP241fofr most. both the 208 and 241 are alumnium 2 speed, part time cases. both god to great for 90% of the trucks.

80 to 93, for most 1 ton trucks (ones that came with a D60 front axle. they had a NP205 Yes, almost the same listed above), but it is mated to the transmission. Cast iron case, 2 speed, part time, all gear drive case. The king of transfers, unless you get to real expensive or big truck stuff.

Now the only ones that will bolt up to a 518, are the NP241, and the later (not from a Cummins truck though), NP205. For most things, either are a good choice. unless you plan on bouncing your truck off rocks, or other crazy stuff. In that case, go for a NP205.

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man that was supper helpful. I guess I need to go find a A518 with a NP205 then. I want best the best lol.

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
To add a bit. You can use a 4wd 518/46RH up to a 96 Dodge. the transfer would have to come from an 80 to 93 Dodge one ton that has a D60 front. I would not turn down a 241, they are cheap, easy to find, and you can always upgrade to a D60 when or if you find one.

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dually noted, if the 241 comes available for to good of a deal. I'll do that.

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
How you planning on doing this swap to 4x4?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Duddies' vids on converting his 2wd frame to 4wd were very informative. There's a lot more to it than I thought.

·
Registered
813 Posts

72 to 74, they had a NP205 divorced(not hanging off the back of the transmission)
75 to 79, they had the NP203, full time, meaning all the wheels get power all the time.
87 to 93 they had the NP241fofr most. both the 208 and 241 are alumnium 2 speed, part time cases. both god to great for 90% of the trucks.

80 to 93, for most 1 ton trucks (ones that came with a D60 front axle. they had a NP205 Yes, almost the same listed above), but it is mated to the transmission. Cast iron case, 2 speed, part time, all gear drive case. The king of transfers, unless you get to real expensive or big truck stuff.

Now the only ones that will bolt up to a 518, are the NP241, and the later (not from a Cummins truck though), NP205. For most things, either are a good choice. unless you plan on bouncing your truck off rocks, or other crazy stuff. In that case, go for a NP205.
This is really good information, especially for newbs. Is this stickied here somewhere? It should be.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

I started following this thread not to lose this info (y)

·
Registered
255 Posts
In most cases the NP241 has a lower gear low range then the 205. Might be something to think about depending on your needs. Really though in 90%+ of the uses either would be more then good enough.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Another vote for the 241. the 2.71:1 low range will be more useful than the strength and weight of gear driven 205 (2:1) in most situations. And simplicity of coming from the factory mated to the 518.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Heres my .02 on this......first off a 2wd to 4x4 swap is way more work than you think it is so be prepared, also be prepared to get down to a bare frame to start because that's about the only logical way to do it.

Transfer cases, yes the NP205 is king, yes everyone knows that which is why they are expensive. The 241 is better than the 208 and has more aftermarket support. The 203 looks like a 205 so make sure you have a 205 if you go looking at them...(205 has a 3 bolt cover in the rear center for the idler gear.

That being said the 205 low range sucks, if youre planning to crawl Id get a 241. Ive had them all and abused them all and here are my findings:

208s, 231s, 241s, 242s, etc are basically all the same, all aluminum housings chain drive and parts are widely available.
205s are cast iron gear drive, lost of aftermarket support but pricey and you need to make sure you get one from a dodge unless you want to spend $ and time making a chevy one work (it can be done)

208s and 241s will hold up to more than people give them credit for 35-37s are not an issue as long as you dont hit the case on the rocks.

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
Heres my .02 on this......first off a 2wd to 4x4 swap is way more work than you think it is so be prepared, also be prepared to get down to a bare frame to start because that's about the only logical way to do it.
Boy you are not kidding. I started a clubcad 2wd to 4wd conversion about five years vack, and got side tracked over the winter. Then never got back steadily on it.Then too many other priorities got in the way.

Transfer cases, yes the NP205 is king, yes everyone knows that which is why they are expensive. The 241 is better than the 208 and has more aftermarket support. The 203 looks like a 205 so make sure you have a 205 if you go looking at them...(205 has a 3 bolt cover in the rear center for the idler gear.

That being said the 205 low range sucks, if youre planning to crawl Id get a 241. Ive had them all and abused them all and here are my findings:

208s, 231s, 241s, 242s, etc are basically all the same, all aluminum housings chain drive and parts are widely available.
205s are cast iron gear drive, lost of aftermarket support but pricey and you need to make sure you get one from a dodge unless you want to spend $ and time making a chevy one work (it can be done)

208s and 241s will hold up to more than people give them credit for 35-37s are not an issue as long as you dont hit the case on the rocks.
More good info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I second that this information should be a sticky. It comes up often, along with transmissions, and axles. A spotters guide to identification, options, years, etc.

John

·
Registered
548 Posts
My first question for the OP is what is the main use of the truck going to be? Trail only? Street use only? I would recommend different for intended use.
So, what is the truck to be used for?

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How you planning on doing this swap to 4x4?
I plan on keeping most stuff bolt on, example Keeping the small block motor, so it pairs just fine with the transmission. I did know I'll be doing Fab work out the ass for I what I want to do.

My first question for the OP is what is the main use of the truck going to be? Trail only? Street use only? I would recommend different for intended use.
So, what is the truck to be used for?
Its gonna be multipurpose. From Trail, to Street, Towing, and ETC. I chose the 205, so I don't got to worry about up armoring the transfer case as much "like plating around it" and simple durability. But what ever I buy at the time will get overhauled and built out internals. I'm trying to build this thing to out last me, my kids, and grandkids. One that ever happens. So tougher the better. lol

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
I plan on keeping most stuff bolt on, example Keeping the small block motor, so it pairs just fine with the transmission. I did know I'll be doing Fab work out the ass for I what I want to do.
I would really suggest starting with a 4wd rc frame. You need a 4wd frame to get the springs, hangers, engine and front crossmember, transfer case cross, and on and on. Plus something to measure to get all the holes you need to drill right.

A body swap is simple, I have swapped bodies, on trucks, RC's, even the same truck that is on its third frame (simpler then swapping all the drive train over). Converting a 2wd frame to 4wd, is definitely the hardest, and most time consuming. I wish I had left it 2wd.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would really suggest starting with a 4wd rc frame. You need a 4wd frame to get the springs, hangers, engine and front crossmember, transfer case cross, and on and on. Plus something to measure to get all the holes you need to drill right.

A body swap is simple, I have swapped bodies, on trucks, RC's, even the same truck that is on its third frame (simpler then swapping all the drive train over). Converting a 2wd frame to 4wd, is definitely the hardest, and most time consuming. I wish I had left it 2wd.

View attachment 625635

View attachment 625636

View attachment 625637

View attachment 625638
Yep did it myself once its done its done but working only on weekends and the occasional evening took me about a year and a half to do the full swap over and resto on mine....

It was a life suck too, didn't do much else in my free time.

BTW I would go with the lighter 241 unless you are building something wild or you have easy access to a 205. The 205 is bulletproof, but probably overkill. I had a 208 behind mine but it leaked....and I tow with mine so wanted the reliability.

Neil

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you want something that is going to outlast the truck, don't mess around with used junk go straight for an Atlas.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts