Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you here know, I own a `77 Dodge M880 (basically a W200 in military trim.) Recently I got the opportunity to buy all the parts from the separate 24 volt charging system that the M882 radio trucks used. This uses a separate 24 volt alternator mounting on the driver side, and a separate two battery tray over on the passenger side. there is also a volt meter that mounts on the dash that tells how well the system is charging. Anyway, I picked up the whole set up for $10.00, an offer I couldn't refuse. The guy I bought this stuff from suggested that I may be able to convert it to an onboard welder. I believe this is a 60 amp, 24 volt system. Does anybody know if this can be done? Any other brilliant ideas for what to use this set up for? I thought this might be a good question for the tech board since it's about throwing around some ideas for something to build. Thanks {cool}

P.S. Here's a picture of the 24 volt charging circuit (The power outlet runs to the radio set)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
BTW---I am not joking. Many of the truckers up here use them. Need a 24 volt system just to keep up with them...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No kidding? So what do you do, set them up like a spot light or are they mounted on a roll bar up top?

BTW, my sister lives in Fairbanks also. Name's Susan Chapa. Her husband's name is Phillip. He's a PA (Physician's Assistant.)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Don't know squat about welders....sorry. My *guess* would be that 60 amps is not enough current for the welder. I suppose it would be enough for thinner metal. I've never thought to ask all the CAT mechanics I work around how powerful the generator they run for their welders is......

For the lights, anywhere they fit. Obviously, the higher up you get them the better they light the road (trail) up. Truckers using them almost always have them up on the light bar atop the cab.

Scary thing when you are coming to the top of a hill...and it looks like a 747 is about to land on the other side! :eek:

-SM

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
don't recall seeing aircraft landing lights at the local auto parts store (well duh, I guess the sign says ato, not aircraft lights).

Go into your local chain store though and ask for some. That could be fun. I wonder if the Blazer brand has some boxed as aircraft landing lights, for $9.95.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
A couple of my friends are A&P certified mechanics---they have access to the coolest 'toys' and 'spare' parts ;D

-SM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.