Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start off my 76 has had its share of wiring problems and I had most of them fixed at one time but now more have arose one day my 4 ways were on and i went to shut them off and nothing would work so i had to pull the blinker out of the fuse box and also 2 cab lights quit on me. I also noticed that there must be a mouse living in the dash but i have yet to pull the dash to see what that little bastard has chewed up so what should i do buy a new fuse block and rewire the truck or am i getting over my head in this i should only need wiring for all the lights and horn i figure i could run all the lighting for the guages off a painless switch panel because they are all going to be mechanical. also what should i use to swap the steering column to a tilt???

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
from time to time you can catch NOS wiring harneses on ebay i recomend that for the under dash wiring (unless you dont care much about origional function. ..... another option is to order a universal wirink kit from painless wiring, third option is basicly what you mentioned and wire things up yourself. i will recomend using relays for three reasons. 1st you can run several things off one switch and not have to worry about overloading the switch and burning it up. (yes i have done that) 2nd you have much less amperage flowing tru suck long wires that have alot of oppertunity to be shorted and causeing a fire. 3rd you can run alot smaller guage wire from under the hood ect.. that will make things easier and cheeper.
As far as the tilt steering column goes when you should cut a section of the wiring harness out of the doner truck, (for the connector) leaving enough wire for you to work with behind the plug, and cut the plug and a length of the wires off your standard column (once again leaving enough for you to work with) then using a wiring diagram for both years trucks match the wiring between the two connectors you cut off there by making an adapter to go between the tilt column and your origional wiring in your truck. a factory service manual is a good sourse for the wiring diagrams. David

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
relays are cool.

you can handle a 40amp load off a single switch that flows maybe 1 or 2 amps.

plus you can reverse the output pin so the object is on when switch is on, or object is on when switch is off.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I just got done rewiring my entire RC-Front to back. They have everything from headlight sockets to the tail light sockets to replace everything. I did start with the painless 6 panel switch. Made things a lot simpler and faster. I use the accessory switches for headlights and parking lights. I did use relays for everything. They are cheap and easy to hook up. Just makes for a little more wiring. It looks hard until you start laying things out and start hooking up one item after another. It took me about 5 days, working 2 to 3 hours a night to get it done.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
try either saturn surplus or powerwagonparts.net . both should have NOS surplus wireing harnesses

·
2,317 Posts
thanks for the link to pwp.net.never heard of it. did you post it in the link section?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.