Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a new alternator cause it appeared the old one wasn't charging.
new one is in and it is a GM style one wire with internal regulator:
ground wire is connected and power is connected dirrectly to the batter positive terminal.
i m not getting any charging amps. ???
i ve been dealing with this crap for like 2 weeks now and can t for the life of me figure what the hell is going on. :-\

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
how are you figuring you arenot getting any charging amps?

I would check voltage, if you have 13-14 volts at the battery (batt + to -) then the alt is working. the amp draw will vary depending on battery discharge state, amount of accessories on and so on.

Just a side note, a clamp on DC amp probe runs about 300-400 dollars, most amp probes are AC only.

Pat

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Johno said:
ground wire is connected and power is connected dirrectly to the batter positive terminal.
The orignal alt and reg wired the charge circuit so you could read amps at the gauge in on the dash. When you go from that new GM one wire jobber, direct to the battery, you have totally by-passed the factory wiring and will never see anything on the gauge in the dash! Follow Pat88RC's advice get a meter out an check the volts at the battery with the engine off and when you have it running. Post the voltage results when you get them!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ram said:
Johno said:
The orignal alt and reg wired the charge circuit so you could read amps at the gauge in on the dash. When you go from that new GM one wire jobber, direct to the battery, you have totally by-passed the factory wiring and will never see anything on the gauge in the dash! Follow Pat88RC's advice get a meter out an check the volts at the battery with the engine off and when you have it running. Post the voltage results when you get them!
well, i ve been running a custom dash for a long time.
after a electrical system check, the machine showed i m not getting a charge from the alternator. that s how i know it s not charging.

i ll just get back in there and figure it out, it s got to be something obvious.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Johno said:
Ram said:
Johno said:
well, i ve been running a custom dash for a long time.
after a electrical system check, the machine showed i m not getting a charge from the alternator. that s how i know it s not charging.

i ll just get back in there and figure it out, it s got to be something obvious.
what machine??

a few more questions,

have you been using the truck over the past 2 weeks?
is there any connection on the wire that goes from the alt to the battery?

if you have been using the truck over the past 2 weeks and the battery has not died, then it is charging.

if there is no connection to the wire going from the alt to the battery then there is no way to read the amps.

once that wire gets to the battery, the battery absorbs that energy. you would need a lead from the alt to an ammeter then to the battery to get the amps.

Hope that helps.

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts