Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tuning my 1990 ramcharger. Recently replaced the 318 with a reman 360. Using 318's tbi, intake and exhaust manifolds. 2.5 inch dual exhaust with turbo mufflers. Proformance electronic ignition (stock ecu). Megasquirt controller running the dual 86 lb/hr Holley injectors.

QUESTION: Runs pretty good but maxes out at about 5100 rpm (under load, running through the A-518's gears manually). Should I expect more rpm than 5100?

I started my hi speed tuning rich and have trimmed it down till I am at the above numbers. Before I continue 'leaning' it out, Looking to see if a totally stock 360 SHOULD go higher?!

Thanks in advance for your experience!

Bruce

·
Registered
112 Posts
Skip yhe orange box ECU ,go for the chrome box ECU, Increase the Valve spring compression rate with fresh high performance valve springs. Should pull hard to 6100 in 1st thru 3rd.dont expect to pull red line in higher gears due to aerodynamic drag. Good luck,xcrc

G

·
On a stocker, you're looking at a cam of something like .410 gross valve lift, and it'll be less with the standard variances in the OEM rockers. That alone limits your ability to spin faster, then coupled with the restrictive 318 hardware....I'm amazed it'll pull 5100! Besides, the stockers usually shifted out at around 4800 anyway. Tuning will only go so far. Even if you manage to spin it higher, it won't be making power, just noise. You gotta open up the induction, and that includes the cam.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
You should try to find a 360 intake and tbi. The exhaust mainfolds are the same. 318 TBI won't flow enough fuel. 318 Intake won't flow enough either, since the ports are smaller than the 360 heads they sit on. You will also need a 360 ECM to tell the TBI how much fuel to pour in. As far as RPM's, I don't really know how many you should be able to crank out. I've seen 5500 on a 360 with 10.5:1 compression flat-tops, 340 cam and eddy performer intake and carb. Then it threw the alt belt. (wasn't lined up properly)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the GREAT feedback! Just what I was looking for! All the suggestions for 'better breathing' are my next steps... wanted to make sure I wasn't building on quicksand. I have a Edlebrock 340 'Torker' single plane manifold. I'm welding in multiport injectors and modifying the stock TBI to be a throttle valve with larger throttle blades. Once that is running as best it can, I am fabbing and installing a turbo. That should bring the performance up a bit!

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Bruce

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I assume this multiport injection is gonna be operated by MegaSquirt?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
no, it's not stock anymore......the list of mods is quite lengthy, but the main thing is the ported/flowed eddy heads, ported/flowed/portmatched air gap intake, holley 750, 2.08/1.60 valves, good roller rockers, and some good valve springs.

I only have run it up past 5700 twice, and both times was at the strip. It went as high as 6200 both times.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
your in a truck...what is the puint in going past 4000 rpm's? my 318..will go 4800 5,000.......... You dont make any power after that......you are just wearing out the motor.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Being able to make a 360 that can turn right RPM is NOT his point; on a stock 360.. with the specified restricted intake .. 5100 is doing pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts