Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I need to replace the batteries on my RC.

The main starting battery bought the farm and I might as well get a new one for the winch since I don't know how old it is.

I read in another thread all batteries are not crated equal and that there are some really good batteries for the money. So what makes a good battery a good battery?

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it lasts a long time then its a good battery :). Really, I just got a napa orbital one cause I got sick of trading in the standard ones there every year. Ill let you know in a few years if it is any good. I have read a few good battery articles but they still seemed in the end to be more about opinion.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Ok reason Optima rules is this : it uses a gel instead of plates and wter to make it''s electricity ..... it is more involed but the Optima seems to out do about evfery wet battery around on the market ..... It will last along time more than a wet battery will ...

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Optimas are popular due to the fact that they are sealed, anti-vibration, higher output amperage, much better at recharging, can operate in any way you put it (on its side, on its top), has top and side terminals, a higher cyling battery, and less internal parts. It is just a very well made, very thought out and planned battery design. The Red and Blue top is for applications where an alternator will be used, the yellow is for an application where a recharging system won't be used. But you said the main battery went, so I'm guessing you use two batteries. If that is the case, I'd get a Red as the main and a yellow as your aux. Battery design really hasn't changed much over the past 25-30 years with the standard lead-acid battery. Optima changed all of that and its really not much more expensive. Check it out. You'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hybrid 1ton said:
The Red and Blue top is for applications where an alternator will be used, the yellow is for an application where a recharging system won't be used.
The yellow and blue are both identical specs - the only difference is the blue has the wingnut posts for marine outboards. ;) You can use them all on alternator setups.. The red isn't designed to be deep-cycled more than I think 50 times, vs 500+ on the yellow and blue. So basically you'd want to set it up so your Red is the main starting battery, and the Yellow or Blue is running your light bar, winch, power inverter, fridge, etc. Anything you'd use continuously with the engine off.

Optimas also have a kick-ass warranty.. 3 years full replacement + 2 years pro rate replacement (5 years total). You'll probably leave your lights on wayyy before 3 years is up, then the replacement has another full, brand-new warranty, so they'll really be the last batteries you ever pay for. :D

Matt {peace}

·
29,388 Posts
Optima's (and the like) are definatley different, they have all of the benefits Hybrid mentioned.
Instead of flat lead plates with liquid acid sloshing around, they have lead plates (of higher purity) that are coiled around a fiberglass mesh, into 6 seprate cylinders.
Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT gel batteries, this fiberglass mesh actually has the electrolyte (acid) absorbed in it, so there is no free acid sloshing around. These cylinders of wrapped lead and mesh are wrapped tightly, this keeps the electrolyte in constant (and consistant) contact with the lead "plates".
Some additional advatages are:
-They WILL NOT leak, you can mount them in any position
-Your terminals will never corrode,
-Because of the tightly wrapped design, they are not as suseptable to sulfating and therefore the shedding of sulfate which goes to the bottom of a battery and eventually shorts out the plates. This is one of the most common reasons batteries fail, especially in a 4wd. This is why they handle vibration so well.
-They accept charge better and they have lower internal resistance.
-They have more CCA than any battery of its size
My standard batteries were quite consistant at lasting me only 2 years. My first Optima that failed lasted me 6, and I have another that is going on 7 years.
Very much worth buying!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
just wondering......what makes the teminals corrode on a normal battery and not an optima?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There are a few of the spiral cell designs out there now.. Most of them will have great specs and your main differences will be warranty and price. I don't think DieHard makes one yet.. So the next battery I get will be the spiral from Sam's Club. Before that.. All I've ever bought were DieHards.. But the only one I ever had to replace was 8 years old and came with the car it was in.. replaced it 3 cars later; It was my fault.. I was deep cycling it for about 3 months.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
deep cycle refers to batteries that have a cycle that goes from fully charged to about 80% discharge as far as I know.

·
29,388 Posts
A deep cycle is designed to give up less amperage over a long period of time. A starting battery is designed to give a lot of amperage for a short period of time (i.e. starting your engine).
Also, a deep cycle can do just that, be deep cycled, meaning it can be discharged over and over again with no harm done. A starting battery can only discharged a few times before it is toast.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Greg just remember that due to the wiring setup both batts must be identical, I sugest up grading to any brand of spiral cell I have a cheaper Exide in the Neon works just as well as the Optimas but cheaper :D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
identical? So, running a red top and a yellow top with a isolator in between does not work? Why? Or is that without isolator?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

·
29,388 Posts
I have a solenoid setup as well, and I don't have identical batteries. It's my understanding that as long as the solenoid is only engaged when the engine is on and the alternator is providing current, that this is ok.
From what I understand, the need for identical batteries comes into play if they are connected together when the engine is off, thats when they can start draining each other if they aren't identical. I haven't had any problems yet.
Also, this is how my motorhome, and I believe most motorhomes (at least older ones) are wired.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have used the exide batteries and that one didn't last too long. So I decided to buy the cheapo everstart from wally world and I had those in a nissan for almost 6 years before they went bad. So since I had good luck with them I went back to the ever start from wally world for the batteries for the RC. One will be used for starting only and the other will be used for everything else. 80 dollars for two batteries isn't too bad in my opinion and when I had them in a nissan they never failed me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bogie is correct I am using a solenoid only system. It is a good thing that I am set up that way because with the flip of the switch I am able to use the aux battery to emergency start it with. Since I have very little knowledge of how batteries actually work I want to be able to make and informed decision before I spend 250+ for some new batteries.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts