Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! This truck has a long history that I'll try to condense. When I first built it, I had built a 550 hp 440 Six Pack mated to an auto trans, & a divorced t-case. I moved the t-case back to center it between the axles & dropped it about 3 inches or so. The rear axle was clocked by the shims that came on the rear leafs, I don't think the front was clocked, probably because of what you have mentioned. Sadly, the truck was only driven a short time before it went into storage. Life took over, marriage, house, kids. Years the truck was destined to be sold, the 440, trans, & t-case were removed, and the original equipment was put back in. After a year or so my brain kicked in and I decided not to sell it. Ol' Blue is now still in storage, I pulled & cleaned the tank, rebuilt the carb the last time I had a chance to work on it. We have since moved out of state, when I bring it home I plan to put the 440 back in & probably pull some lift out of it. Or possibly sell it, but I have a lot of history with this truck. That makes it hard to let it go. I do have photographs of the build, but no digital pic's until I get back to pick it up. I might just post some when I do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, also, I never worried about clocking the t-case. Just the pinion angle of the rear axle as mentioned before.

·
Registered
28,053 Posts
I really didn’t expect this much criticism from everyone. There are plenty of old school builds on 15in wheels and 44s that are plenty practical with full leaf lifts. It was popular back in the day. I’m wanting to build an old school 80s truck like you’d see going to the 4 Wheel Jamboree.
thats the KEY word here [ use to be ] and they were dangerous and didnt work well back then and people LEARNED from their mistakes , you DONT see trucks like that anymore [ unless you find and old one in a barn ] or its "strictly" a show truck / dont get me wrong, 40's are the new 36,es from back in the day and anything with that much lift included a BODY LIFT just like RC/RT's old school build above to limit the amount of spring lift you need , also anything today on 40's is LOW like the scout l posted

boy thats TOO funny , l googled key word " trucks with 10 inch lifts" and out of the 1000's of vehicles not one dodge , then l googled "dodge trucks with 10 inch lifts " and found NONE of the old style [ 1972-93] but 1000's of newer 1994-up , the ONLY thing l did find was the post below on here from years ago

put it this way your gonna do what your gonna do no matter what we say , but hear this l,ve NEVER seen a truck that high in the woods wheeling [ its called LOW center of gravity ] = he's no fun he fell right over

you should read the post below

bottom line is : l dont think its a good idea but would love to see your truck done and actually work = good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with everything DODGEBOYS said above. But dangerous (?), anything can be dangerous if you don't respect it. High center of gravity can be dangerous no matter what suspension set up you have. The most high tec suspension set up with the lowest possible center of gravity can be just as dangerous if you add enough speed to it, or the wrong terrain. My bottom line - it's your truck, you build it how you want it, just do your homework before you start it, and respect it once you finish it. And don't expect it to be able to safely do what is was not built to do. Build it for you, not for anyone else. HAppy four wheelin'!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree with everything DODGEBOYS said above. But dangerous (?), anything can be dangerous if you don't respect it. High center of gravity can be dangerous no matter what suspension set up you have. The most high tec suspension set up with the lowest possible center of gravity can be just as dangerous if you add enough speed to it, or the wrong terrain. My bottom line - it's your truck, you build it how you want it, just do your homework before you start it, and respect it once you finish it. And don't expect it to be able to safely do what is was not built to do. Build it for you, not for anyone else. HAppy four wheelin'!!
Nicely said! Wise words

·
Premium Member
13,407 Posts
it will also be pretty difficult to get a truck with that much lift to drive without bump-steer, even with crossover setup, and with that much lift any bump-steer can lead to a real bad lack of control situation real quickly. A full-hydro system would eliminate the bump steer, but on the street it has more con's than pro's, but it will at least eliminate bump-steer.

·
Super Moderator
30,000 Posts
Yeah, big lifts suck. This was on 39s.

About a $38k loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! Yeah that stinks. Sorry for your loss. What is the fate of your truck? If you don't mind me asking.

·
Super Moderator
30,000 Posts
I put another cab on it and sold it to a friend who traded it for a '70 Cuda basketcase. Last I saw of the truck it was painted a dark purple color and was on 36s, but I haven't seen it for probably 8 years or more. Now I have my Ramcharger on 37s with no lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's too bad that you had to go through that. It was a nice looking truck. I never really had the chance to have much fun with mine, life got too busy. That might have saved it from a similar demise. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it as it is, or drop it down some and drive it. Hope you continue to have better luck with your RamCharger.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts