Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the 86 Ramcharger back from the shop where they did a great job tuning in the carb, so I thought I was done with the stalls and the backfiring stuff.... Well today I took her out for a spin and it started raining hard, then stopped. I drove back after the rain, real humid etc and the gremlins came back, stalled out 3 times and backfired once, but it did start up fairly quickly.

So I am wondering if it is moisture related and if so is that what you call vapor lock?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Maybe not. I believe it may be an ignition problem. I believe that you are getting water splashed onto your coil or distributor from the rain. Your problems are classic results of this happening.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you are having problems 'just' when it is raining and humid, I would be looking for a problem with the distributor getting moisture either on the top of the tower, or condensing inside and causing mis-fires. It doesn't take too much when youe are trying to direct several thousand volts into the correct plug wire at the exact time it needs to go there. As far as vapor lock, that is generally when it is so hot it vaporizes the gasoline in the fuel line, making it difficult if not impossible for the fuel pump to do it's job. Heat shields, and placement sometimes will cure this.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Do that said go to the tech board and look @ Kthaxton's rain splash shield he made it's pretty simple to make and will keep the rain off your ditributor . Also u can silicone the cap on as well . or silicone spray should do the trick as well .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts