Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed that my air intake tube setup has a little jumper tube going to another box mounted in the fender and some wires going into that. what is it? is it a prehistoric mass air flow sensor?i took the tubes off cuz i have a polished ricer style one im going to adapt on. can i unplug the wires and ditch that box? or is it important?

·
Registered
780 Posts
What year is your truck? On newer trucks 88 I think was the first year, its where the computer is for the engine controller...The little air tube is to cool down the ancient computer system As for ditching the box, Unless you have completely changed your engine to a standard ECU, carb and external voltage regulator, among other things, you had better leave it in.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yup yup, he's got an '89 if I remember right. AFAIK, if you remove either the little cooling tube or the big snorkel tube, the computer can get hot enough to melt down (which would have the same effect as removing the box ;D ;D ) You should do a Megasquirt. Gunpilot got my heart set on it for when I build my 360. But until you carb it or squirt it, leave the intake tubes alone.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i guess ill leave it alone until i rig up a system to cool it and another to feed air to the motor, or some combo system for both...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
how hard would it be to rig up a fan to cool the computer???? like in a PC????? that way you could have the best of both worlds....

·
Registered
153 Posts
When i was on the SDML (shelby dodge mailing list) a number of us (most actually) would junk the stock air box or modify and never gave two craps about sucking air over the computer. Just disconnected it and plumbed around it. Some would use a PC fan for insurance but most didnt worry about it. Moving air inside the engine compartment did the trick.

Someone correct me but the main reason for cooling the computer anyways is that the voltage regulator is in there. So the more amps you draw the hotter the computer is going to get. Kinda off the subject but do underdrive pullys adversly affect your voltage regulator life?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i thought about a computer fan but didnt know if it would do enough cooling. also, the voltage is different on those right?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
the PC fan was an example. but something LIKE a PC fan is what i was geting at.... sorry for the confusion if there was any.... ;D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wait a minute I have that goofy box hanging off my truck, but I have a carb. What is it for on my engine? It's in the fender, right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its still an engine computer. Chysler has has an ignition computer in some form on Carb engines scince the late 70's. They only started to use them on trucks in the mid 80's. My dads 88 360 4BBL had one as well.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
The Grainger company catalog is a great source for fans of many sizes and voltages... and lotsa other cool stuff as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My '89 318 EFI California Rancharger has the same little tube and big tube set-up. When I go in really deep water, I disconnect them both. Looks like it is set up to draw air and cool that ancient 'puter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts