Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has had an engine swap done in it before I bought it actually two but I was wondering if the numbers off the side of the block will tell you what the engine came out of. It is a 440 but I would like to know what year it is and model so when I buy parts for it I can get the correct ones. So if anybody has any books or knows of a website the help would be appreciated. Thank you

Luke

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
there are several web sites that have a fair breakdown for casting #' search (chrysler casting numbers) your block should have the casting date on it also. w/o the vin# i doubt you are going to be able to nail down exactly what vehicle the engine came out in. hope this helps --sheriff--

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help cooper and sherriff I got a number of 4006630-440-9 so It is a 78 model now I need to look and see with car came with a 440 in 78 cause my motor has a car pan and air conditioning pump on it.

Thanks Again Luke

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
so you know it's low power turd for a 440 it was way smogged out and had no torque like the early model 440's did but hey a 440 is a 440 right ?

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
it would be a New Yorker it came out of / these were the last 440 cars made because 1978 was the last year for the 440 in cars

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya it is a low power turd but I am just glad it doesnt have the stock 318 2 barrel that the vin code says the truck is suppose to have but with that small block from the factory that gave the truck 4.10 gears and with the np 435 4 spd tranny and 205 transfer I can run in 1st high range in mud and put everything in low range and crawl too. So since it came out of a car with emissions BS shouldnt it have a smog pump on it from the factory. There isnt one on it know but I do have the air conditioning compressor that serves pretty handy as on board air.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
it shoud have i would think ...wqhoever did the swap did like most of us do and toss the smog equipment will have to get on from the parts house probably if you need it ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont really need one I was just wondering because it is an emissions motor luckily I am in a small community south of salem like 30 miles and we dont have to smog our vehicles heck I dont even run mifflers when I drive it but thats not very much I have a little chevy s10 as a daily driver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
allright back on this topic again I have the motor pulled out and im rebuilding it according to these numbers 4006630-440-9 it is a 78 model but the casting date is 3/23/1976 it could be an 8 but it sure looks like a 6 has anybody known the numbers to lie if anybody knows what cars came with a 440 in 76 and 78 the information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
that engine should have a build date on the id pad. take a look and post all numbers and layout of the id pad. that way yu can pin down real close when the engine was made. --sheriff--

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i sanded down the id pad and I cant really tell what it is for sure but it looks something like this:
61 40 E

And I tryed taking pictures of the casting numbers on the block and the id pad

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well sorry but i cant get the pictures to load i will have to find the disks for the camera

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess nobody has any ideas I think Is suppose to be more info on the id pad but I looked the best I could.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
74powerwagon200 said:
I guess nobody has any ideas I think Is suppose to be more info on the id pad but I looked the best I could.
with that casting no. and seq # i would bet that it is a 78 casting. --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Really it doesn't matter where the motor came from, a car, truck, boat well if it came from a boat it would be better but it's not so it doesn't matter, i don't understand the reason you want to know what car it came from? A 440 was offered in magnum gt's, imperials, fury's and monaco's, cordobas and chargers were limited to 400's

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was just wondering for future reference right now i am buying rebuild parts but thats just general 440 doesnt matter what year it is and back when I first posted this topic in July or so I was wondering if the car would of been a manual transmissin because my truck is and was just curious to see if they used a car clutch and bell housing or truck when they did the swap

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
They could have put a different trans in but i kinda wouldn't think they did, but you would have to look and see what trans you got. Most likely they went and got the bell housing for the block and you should have a 11" wheel

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.