Dodge RamCharger Central banner

What have you done to your Ramcharger recently?

551K views 8K replies 398 participants last post by  crazzywolfie 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 1979 440 Plymouth Trailduster. This truck needs tons of work.  I spent the day freezing outside trying to install plugs, cables, coil, valley pan, cap, and rotor. I also removed my broken exhaust pipes that were hanging down. The previous owner was a driver if you know what I mean. How about you?

#2 ·
Evian said:
I recently purchased a 1979 440 Plymouth Trailduster. This truck needs tons of work. I spent the day freezing outside trying to install plugs, cables, coil, valley pan, cap, and rotor. I also removed my broken exhaust pipes that were hanging down. The previous owner was a driver if you know what I mean. How about you?
Sounds like you had a good day.

I know if I had a big block 79 RC I'd be out in the freezing cold wrenching on it with a smile.

As for me, no old dodge to speak of any more. Still looking though.

#3 ·
Don't worry you will find one. When gas was $4.40 a gallon, trucks that got 5 mpg were available everywhere for under $1500. Haven't you notice that those trucks are now on the street again. Many were placed in storage and others were sold.

#4 ·
I'm (currently) working at installing the 2.3L Turbo Diesel & 5-Speed Overdrive Transmission into my '85 W50.

If only i can find the Rear Main Seal, gotta be one on the shelf in the garage somewhere (thought i didnt order one, remembered i did, now i can't find where i put it.

I already made the Engine Mounts, Engine was overhauled (even though it only had 30k on it.. just to be safe because i wasn't sure what sort of maintence the prior owner did to it), Transmission was torn apart and checked over (looks A-1), Turning the Flywheel right now, New Clutch & Pressure Plate ready too.

Once i get the Motor & Transmission in, i've gotta buy a $100 (plus tax & shipping) Valve Cover for it.  The engine came out of a Rolled over truck, and the Fence Post that went through the hood beat the valve cover into pieces  :eek:

Reactions: Cmrose89
#6 ·
Evian said:
Don't worry you will find one. When gas was $4.40 a gallon, trucks that got 5 mpg were available everywhere for under $1500. Haven't you notice that those trucks are now on the street again. Many were placed in storage and others were sold.
that was me. i tried selling, just wasnt in the cards at the time. but in the end it stayed in the car port.

#7 ·
I looked out the window at mine, thought about going for a ride, then thought about how long it would take to warm up the tires and not ride like a tracked APC and went back to watching TV.

#8 ·
New door hinge pin/bushing kits....

Paul

Then went in the house after my daughter and her family left....grabbed a coffee, went back outside, fired up a smoke and just looked from one side to the other....thinking "that even looks better".... ;D

#11 ·
I walked by mine a couple of times.

#13 ·
I sanded drywall and hung cabinets........ OH WAIT. I looked at my wifes 85 RC between the house and garage. I looked at the 77 400 RC sitting next to the shed last Sat along with the 80 TD two trucks down from that and then I did glance at the 77TD "The Lose Screw" my trail rig all in the same trip when I got my vinyl roller to put the flooring in the kit. Does that count?  ;D

I have E-brake cables, wiper blades, and a relay for the wiper motor in the wife's 85 RC once the kit is done......  {cool}

Oh yeah and when I'm done painting a 66 caddy and then body work and painting a 65 corvar corsa, I'll get to working on the frame swap on the 80TD 318 4 speed. OH and somewhere in there I need to get the "lose screw" idling correctly and my 82 W350 on a new frame also........

Well then I guess I have some work to do!  :eek:

Why did you bring this up? My now I feel overloaded..........  ;D

#7,991 ·
I sanded drywall and hung cabinets........ OH WAIT. I looked at my wifes 85 RC between the house and garage. I looked at the 77 400 RC sitting next to the shed last Sat along with the 80 TD two trucks down from that and then I did glance at the 77TD "The Lose Screw" my trail rig all in the same trip when I got my vinyl roller to put the flooring in the kit. Does that count? ;D

I have E-brake cables, wiper blades, and a relay for the wiper motor in the wife's 85 RC once the kit is done...... {cool}

Oh yeah and when I'm done painting a 66 caddy and then body work and painting a 65 corvar corsa, I'll get to working on the frame swap on the 80TD 318 4 speed. OH and somewhere in there I need to get the "lose screw" idling correctly and my 82 W350 on a new frame also........

Well then I guess I have some work to do! :eek:

Why did you bring this up? My now I feel overloaded.......... ;D
I know this thread is old as dirt....but why do I need the SAME parts as your wife's RC did back in '09?? (Minus the wipers I just replaced those) . What's up with the RC emergency brakes? And ... apparently the wiper motors? Mine will stop working until I got over a bump then they sporadically wipe them stop.

#14 ·
Thought about the parts I have ordered for the 91. Pulled it in front of the shop to be worked on tomorrow if my EGR valve gets here. Checking out the speaker wiring so I can install the stereo I have for it. Need to replace/fix the sloppy steering (bad couplier).

#17 ·
Hybrid 1ton said:
Thats some really nice wood work man.
Thanks I tried to get the stain as close as possible to the dash.

#19 ·
Not_A_Blazer said:
I was trying to tidy up the shop last night,and I tossed a crumpled up tarp in the back of the RC to get it the hell out of my way. The truck sits in the corner of the garage and doesn't have the top on it,so it's pretty damn convenient to toss miscellaneous items in the back.
{yes} Thats what I do with my pickup too, it ends up being a trash can/empty beer can holder....::) ;D

Jeremy

#21 ·
played in the snow. let the kids sled. made the furthest tracks. found out its not going into low range. had been wondering what the titinging noise was when i would take it out of 4 wheel. figured that it was a gear not disengaging all the way. got underneath it when we got home found that one of the linkages had drop the clip and was not in the selector arm. hope fully an easy fix. short trip to ace. then go play again.

#22 ·
Well I got a phone call and progress report from my buddy that is painting my RC. While it's out of the garage I'm trying to get other projects done (refurbish an antique metal lathe).

#23 ·
Hybrid 1ton said:
Thats some really nice wood work man.
X3...very sharp!

I backed my RC up to the house, loaded up (6) full five-gallon water buckets w/ lids, drove out to the pasture I rent, and then fed & watered the horses. Stopped by the convenience store and picked up bread & milk before heading home. That old girl does "truck work" and "mom stuff". I didn't realize how handy it would be when I first bought it, now I can't imagine being without it! :)

#24 ·
atowinram said:
X3...very sharp!

That old girl does "truck work" and "mom stuff". I didn't realize how handy it would be when I first bought it, now I can't imagine being without it! :)
And dat's the tuth........

#25 ·
Bought a double u-joint steering shaft off a `1996 Dodge 1/2 ton truck. Not sure if it's long enough. Also found, and going back to purchase is another single u-joint/rag joing steering shaft as well. It's also on a Dodge truck. Not sure of the year. I'll have it when I get home. It will actually work easier if it's long enough. At any rate, I'll have the parts I need.

#26 ·
Elwenil said:
then thought about how long it would take to warm up the tires and not ride like a tracked APC and went back to watching TV.
Bad analogy since tracked apc's are pretty smooth riding compared to a dodge even on the warmest day with the softest aired down tires.