Dodge RamCharger Central banner
7861 - 7880 of 7886 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Got the new fuel line made up and installed....now I've got to put the rest of the bits on it. I ended up using the fuel tank vent line as a vapor return line. I'll find out or if it works tomorrow I guess.

Attachments

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I do not favor any more devices than necessary , just more stuff to go wrong imo but ta each his own . :)
Well, even stock high performance Mopars from the late 60's to the early 70's ran a return to the gas tanks to prevent vapor lock.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I bought new leaf springs and a steering box at the start of the summer, also have a new rear step bumper to put on. But my fat lazy butt has done nothing to any of the vehicles this summer but wash them. No other excuses other than being fat and lazy.

CAD
Oh! Oh! And it's hot too! ;D

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Got the new fuel line made up and installed....now I've got to put the rest of the bits on it. I ended up using the fuel tank vent line as a vapor return line. I'll find out or if it works tomorrow I guess.
The blue is blinding me! ;D
Let us know how it goes.
Running a return really helped my drivability.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'd like that comment. But that just doesn't seem right.
BUT... the days are getting shorter! Winter is coming!
HAHA! Can't wait for Fall! This year has been wet or 80 plus. We've hit 110 where I am and then again we hit about 101. And many days in the 90's. My 5 acres are dead. Except those damn weeds. Those damn things just wont die. It's been hard working outside this year. We are not used to temps that high. Heat stroke sets in easy when you're not acclimated to it, and I work in air conditioned offices/home, so definitely not acclimated. My pole building shop is not insulated either, so it's like working in an easybake oven. LOL Miserable.

EDIT: It's been 61 years since we have had a dry streak like this in Olympia WA. Back in 1960 we had a dry streak of 55 days. We just smoked that record at 71 days and counting with no measurable rain.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I didn't want to wait on new bushings for the column trans linkage, so I made some at work. The retaining barbs were too hard to duplicate so I just added a cotter pin to keep everything in place. Now the weak link has moved up to the lower bearing in the column, it has quiet a bit of play.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I did some wire stretching today, going from sb to bb.
That's looks REALLY well done. I recently did a lot of wiring and what not. I started with an NOS Small block engine harness and modified it for a big block. A few things I did that I'd advocate for, loom up the harness with high heat loom ( I used different sizes of this product https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MX85Q9W/ ) if you use a size that's a tad too big, the air between the wiring and the inside of the loom insulates as well.

Use Fiberglass Sheathing in high heat area's (like the temp sensor sending unit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJJZW6C/ )

marine grade wire for all my repairs and upgrades.

minimize the use of electrical tape with adhesive on it. It'll be messy A F when/if you have to open the harness up for future changes and the first couple of heat cycles, the adhesive is going to melt and ooze all over the place. Silicone Self-Fusing tape is my new favorite. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWROLIG/

Reactions: RCCADMAN

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Thanks shanker, I just want it to look oem to the average person. I used oem type wiring harness tape from Inline Tube. Lol, when I was a kid a hundred years ago, I made the mistake of using electrical tape on the handle bars of my 10 speed. A week later, that was the gummiest mess. I don't think I have used electrical tape since.:LOL:

Reactions: shanker

·
Registered
500 Posts
today I managed to get a correct fan shroud installed....I'm now pulling air thru the radiator and getting a 50* drop across the radiator :)

while I was already soaked in sweat, I went ahead and added an emergency hood release for when the OE hood release cable shits the bed. I've had to help get the hood open on an 83 which was a shit show, and realized that when mine breaks, it'd be even more difficult.

I used 130# nylon coated stainless leader material and made it long enough to run around the drivers side headlight. worse case scenario, I'll just have to pull the headlight bezel and give it a sideways yank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Had the windsheild replaced 8-10 years ago and they didn't use any sealer on the gasket, it's always leaked a little. Had one of those mobile glass guys come to the shop to replace the gasket and use sealer this time around. He broke the windsheild installing it, so I got new glass for the price of a gasket. But I went from a windsheild that leaks to a windsheild that squeaks. :rolleyes: I just can't win lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,155 Posts
Well, even stock high performance Mopars from the late 60's to the early 70's ran a return to the gas tanks to prevent vapor lock.
That's right, the return line prevents vapor lock.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Thanks Ccb, I've already thought of something that I left out of the harness. A source for the carb ele choke. 🙃

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
What Homer said, lol....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I'll bet you can't wait to hear it roar Mojack!

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
today I managed to get a correct fan shroud installed....I'm now pulling air thru the radiator and getting a 50* drop across the radiator :)

while I was already soaked in sweat, I went ahead and added an emergency hood release for when the OE hood release cable shits the bed. I've had to help get the hood open on an 83 which was a shit show, and realized that when mine breaks, it'd be even more difficult.

I used 130# nylon coated stainless leader material and made it long enough to run around the drivers side headlight. worse case scenario, I'll just have to pull the headlight bezel and give it a sideways yank.
Shrouds are the Key to the Universe.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Had the windsheild replaced 8-10 years ago and they didn't use any sealer on the gasket, it's always leaked a little. Had one of those mobile glass guys come to the shop to replace the gasket and use sealer this time around. He broke the windsheild installing it, so I got new glass for the price of a gasket. But I went from a windsheild that leaks to a windsheild that squeaks. :rolleyes: I just can't win lol.
Its always something.

7861 - 7880 of 7886 Posts