Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

7801 - 7820 of 7822 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
hey, are a few posts missing? yea RH.

had a thought the for a thread the other day: what have done to your shop recently.

this might be a two-pher because made it more crowded with more parts from my RC. link to follow.

View attachment 617264 View attachment 617265
Never enough room in a shop is there? A garage is good therapy for the soul. I work out of a tiny little one hole crapper of a garage, thing's packed to the gills. Just spent four months holed up in it so I added a spare 38" TV, a good sound system hooked to it and it's Miracast to my phone. I'll put a good concert or some such on and tinker all night.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Never enough room in a shop is there? A garage is good therapy for the soul. I work out of a tiny little one hole crapper of a garage, thing's packed to the gills. Just spent four months holed up in it so I added a spare 38" TV, a good sound system hooked to it and it's Miracast to my phone. I'll put a good concert or some such on and tinker all night.
Seems like you're having fun there. Perfect Man cave!
You inspired me to redo mine (y) ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Never enough room in a shop is there?
When I first bought my place I was pretty well set - 3 car garage, 3 vehicles. Not sure that lasted a full year. These days I'm mostly happy I can get one in to the work bay and bonus joy for having to move less than 3 others to do it. Currently in the middle of planning a 24x40 detached and wondering how long that will hold me.

full_drive.jpg MVC-297F.JPG

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
helped do the brakes on a dana 60. really not a fan of them but it definitely needed to be done. the wheel cylinder had a slow leak. the crappy part is the wheel cylinder was likely installed less than 5 years ago. the other side was dry but had some broken parts floating around inside and tore up the shoes. also helped change power steering pump and lines. it actually went pretty smoothly which was nice. i remember the 1st diesel one we did years ago was a nightmare.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
helped do the brakes on a dana 60. really not a fan of them but it definitely needed to be done. the wheel cylinder had a slow leak. the crappy part is the wheel cylinder was likely installed less than 5 years ago. the other side was dry but had some broken parts floating around inside and tore up the shoes. also helped change power steering pump and lines. it actually went pretty smoothly which was nice. i remember the 1st diesel one we did years ago was a nightmare.
Holy crap what a mess!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
yes it was. it was kind of expected to find something like that. when brakes start feeling funny and brake fluid slowly start disappearing and not landing on the ground it has to be going somewhere lol.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
fixed the tailgate on the well used '93 3/4 , it has the cracking steel "problem" and had the lower "pin" welded on the "box" that broke away a chunk fell out pin and all , so gate was held only on one side . made plate welded pipe coupling to it bolted it all to truck . THEN took the latches and the release handle out freed them from the rust ....... well it now works properly again .

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Registered
498 Posts
It’s kinda nice driving it rather than working on it. But now that I’ve put 250 miles on it I’m going to run Thermocure thru the coolant system as there is lots of tiny rust particles circulating. Probably going to let it sit with it in the block for 7-10 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got the cooling system drained, flushed multiple times, drained again, then filled with distilled water and thermocure. I'm going to give it a week or two and see what comes out.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I got the cooling system drained, flushed multiple times, drained again, then filled with distilled water and thermocure. I'm going to give it a week or two and see what comes out.
Love distilled water.
Everybody needs to run this product.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Distilled water alone is good in regions where temps don't drop below 0 C/ 30F and it often comes handy around the house.

·
Registered
498 Posts
so after 24 hours, and two heat cycles, the DI-Water & Thermocure has gone from clear, to such a dark green that I can no longer even see the tubes with a flashlight looking down thru the radiator cap. I'm optimistic. I'm going to take a gander in the block when I pull the plugs on the sides of it to do the final drain and see if the cast iron has returned to an as-cast finish.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Distilled water alone is good in regions where temps don't drop below 0 C/ 30F and it often comes handy around the house.
Yes. I run about 70% distilled water 29.9% coolant. And .1% Redline Water Wetter.
Because where I live, we hardly never see anything close to freezing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Kurt, what does Redline water Wetter do?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes. I run about 70% distilled water 29.9% coolant. And .1% Redline Water Wetter.
Because where I live, we hardly never see anything close to freezing.
I'm hoping to end up with the same ratio, I'm going to add a pint of the VP Cool-Down too. all of the products like Hyper-Lube, Cool-Down, Water Wetter, etc are essentially surfactants/wetting agents, but what I was really unable to find specific data on was the corrosion inhibitor quantities in them. I thought about going with Catepillar SCA, but it's a consumable product that the concentrations have to be monitored to maintain effectiveness and too much can actually be bad.

The Ramcharger took 4 gallons to fill it up last time after knowing the radiator & heater core were dry, as well as pulling both drain plugs on the block. So I'm going to add 5 quarts of straight anti-freeze, 1 pint of VP Cool-Down, and then fill with distilled water after the thermocure is done and I flush it until I get nothing but clear water.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Kurt, what does Redline water Wetter do?

It's a surfactant, which is the technical catch-all term for a Soap (Surface Acting Agent). In this case, it's a wetting agent with lubricant which allows the water molecules to do a better job of touching the metal surfaces by lowering the contact angle (surface tension) . The real question that I havn't found (even on BobIsTheOilGuy forums) is what concentration of corrosion inhibitors these products have, which is important when running higher water ratio's and especially straight water cooling systems.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
started prepping the ramcharger to change the steering box input shaft seal on the ramcharger. tired of it leaking even when i am not driving it lol. cleaned everything up with the pressure washer then hosed it all down with penitrating oil. was not able to get the lock ring turning separate from the center but at least i got the lock ring and center turning. i know i usually always fight with the lock ring. the rest is usually easy.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
It's a surfactant, which is the technical catch-all term for a Soap (Surface Acting Agent). In this case, it's a wetting agent with lubricant which allows the water molecules to do a better job of touching the metal surfaces by lowering the contact angle (surface tension) . The real question that I havn't found (even on BobIsTheOilGuy forums) is what concentration of corrosion inhibitors these products have, which is important when running higher water ratio's and especially straight water cooling systems.
Thanks for answering MY question. ;)
Good job of it! Thank you.

When you run distilled water your corrosion resistance goes way down. And the coolant you run helps keep the issue at bay to.
As you probably know... running higher water ratios tend to make the engine run cooler.
BUT... running higher ratios of coolant raise the boiling point.
It's a conundrum... I's tells youse. :p

7801 - 7820 of 7822 Posts