Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

7761 - 7780 of 7802 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,132 Posts
those who do not live where road salt or "brine" is used will never believe that you cannot wash the salt off entirely with soap/water .  They will never believe that one can grind off a piece of metal untill its clean shiny , then when welding find "spots" that spatter , run wild , then stop , the salt changes the metal , gets into it or SOMETHING , but unless one experiences it it is NOT believable  . yes the sand is salty ............... even the air is , folks with "cottages" on a beach find the appliances rusting away .................. some concrete , the stones in it ?, salt effects it , erodes it.
The mortar between bricks get eaten away  . ( the Brooklyn Queens expressway walls )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I've noticed things like that.  It's true, it's why good projects are rare as hen's teeth in this part of the country.  Even those that are, you will still have gaping holes in the sheet metal. Every bolt and fastener will fight you. Shit gets brittle and breaks easily.  Theres just no way to stop it.

I'm preaching to the choir though, most of us up here get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Last week was quite busy in the garage but made my RC a lot quieter. Project Sound deadening is 80% done - doors, rear panels, cargo floors are done (only foam is missing because I waited for the flooring to arrive from US to check if 6 or 9mm foam fits better).
The next step will be the firewall and floor under the front seat. The job is pretty straightforward and requires only patience and time.

But the reward is awesome... I managed to go down from 80 to 73-74 dB which make a huge difference in comfort. I hope after the whole interior is finished and new flooring installed I'll get to 65-68 dB :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
TheBohunk said:
So there's no residual salt in the beach sand?
yes, but the sand here we all nickname "sugar sand" because it's so fine. after a few miles of highway speed, it's almost gone from anywhere underneath.

I myself go crazy with Fluid Film a few times a year on my wife's FJ (which looks amazing underneath) and it's on the beach weekly.

Corrosion from driving on the beach here really comes down to maintenance and not driving in the water, at all, ever. There's a local guy who builds custom surf fishing rods. For YEARS he's on the beach at sunrise and live-srteaming the beach conditions. He treats his undercarriage with boiled linseed oil twice yearly and it looks amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
TheBohunk said:
I've noticed things like that. It's true, it's why good projects are rare as hen's teeth in this part of the country. Even those that are, you will still have gaping holes in the sheet metal. Every bolt and fastener will fight you. Shit gets brittle and breaks easily. Theres just no way to stop it.

I'm preaching to the choir though, most of us up here get it.
spent 30 minutes a piece on the fender trim screws because of how rusted they were lmao. could I have drilled them out? yeah. sounds cooler to say I bust rust and take the long roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
shanker said:
yes, but the sand here we all nickname "sugar sand" because it's so fine. after a few miles of highway speed, it's almost gone from anywhere underneath.

I myself go crazy with Fluid Film a few times a year on my wife's FJ (which looks amazing underneath) and it's on the beach weekly.

Corrosion from driving on the beach here really comes down to maintenance and not driving in the water, at all, ever. There's a local guy who builds custom surf fishing rods. For YEARS he's on the beach at sunrise and live-srteaming the beach conditions. He treats his undercarriage with boiled linseed oil twice yearly and it looks amazing.
BLO huh? I'll be damned. Probably attracts dirt and grime but that's far better than rust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Lzed said:
spent 30 minutes a piece on the fender trim screws because of how rusted they were lmao. could I have drilled them out? yeah. sounds cooler to say I bust rust and take the long roads.
Right on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
shanker said:
He treats his undercarriage with boiled linseed oil twice yearly and it looks amazing.
Simple solutions are usually the best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,907 Posts
I looked at them out back and though I should do something with them. BUT I don't have the time.  :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Absolutely nothing

and I plan doing the same tomorrow  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I finally picked it up from the shop.  New suspension, fuel tank, steering box, driveshaft mods.  The basic, nice to have leafs that actually curve...

Next on this list was new engine gaskets, but poor planning on my part has resulted in an immediate search for a step (well, one on each side) that will allow my wife to get in the truck.  {noclue}

Mike
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,907 Posts
I used my Duetz/Allis tractor to move some logs from the guys place across the street to my house.

Does that count? I had to move two Dodge trucks to get things in the back yard.  ;D

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
McMike said:
I finally picked it up from the shop. New suspension, fuel tank, steering box, driveshaft mods. The basic, nice to have leafs that actually curve...

Next on this list was new engine gaskets, but poor planning on my part has resulted in an immediate search for a step (well, one on each side) that will allow my wife to get in the truck. {noclue}

Mike
She's a pretty gal. Guy I had look at my suspension kept my truck for a day then called and declined to work on it. Must've been those pressed ball joints that scared him away. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
McMike said:
I finally picked it up from the shop. New suspension, fuel tank, steering box, driveshaft mods. The basic, nice to have leafs that actually curve...

Next on this list was new engine gaskets, but poor planning on my part has resulted in an immediate search for a step (well, one on each side) that will allow my wife to get in the truck. {noclue}

Mike
What's the lift on that beauty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Panda said:
What's the lift on that beauty?
Tuff Country 6", complete kit. I had to replace it all anyway, the truck sat for too many years. I think 6" was a bit much, maybe 30 years ago it would have been a little easier on the joints ;D . After driving it for a day or two I'm thinking a steering stabilizer may be necessary; starts getting a little squirrely over about 45-50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,923 Posts
McMike said:
I finally picked it up from the shop. New suspension, fuel tank, steering box, driveshaft mods. The basic, nice to have leafs that actually curve...

Next on this list was new engine gaskets, but poor planning on my part has resulted in an immediate search for a step (well, one on each side) that will allow my wife to get in the truck. {noclue}

Mike
Nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,923 Posts
McMike said:
Tuff Country 6", complete kit. I had to replace it all anyway, the truck sat for too many years. I think 6" was a bit much, maybe 30 years ago it would have been a little easier on the joints ;D . After driving it for a day or two I'm thinking a steering stabilizer may be necessary; starts getting a little squirrely over about 45-50.
Check the caster.
Too much on the positive side will do that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,411 Posts
Getting a receiver hitch installed on the General. Still need to drill holes, and install bolts, but have the plan worked.

616850

616851

616852
616853
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mighty Quinn

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Nice, did that last week. It's easy but not much place for fat fingers ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Worked on Rev C of my pop-top top popper. Rev A was a repurposed jeep top popper that just wasn't up to the weight. Rev B was a few bolt on stiffeners but still kinda sketch. This version is scratch built from an old bed frame because I had one. The steel angles proved a bit thin, so I doubled them up and made diy square tube. If nothing else, good welding practice. Rev D is gonna be actual square wall tubing with thicker walls but this should work - the test weight pegged the 300lb bathroom scale.
616919
616920
 
  • Like
Reactions: Panda
7761 - 7780 of 7802 Posts
Top