Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

7741 - 7760 of 7802 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Finally a nice ,dry ,no wind, health  allowing me to feel good day to get my 45rh transmission service done .
Had everything I thought I needed  to get the job done .
Everything was going great , didn't cover myself or driveway with fluid when I got pan loose , draining well , finally got to point where I took take pan off, to my surprise y-pipe was not low enough to allow this to come off . Of course the flange bolts rusted to point where a socket going to get nut off but not enough to break bolts either, So in the end had to leave the truck sit until I can get flange bolts cut off .Completely worn out
Sucks when health issues slow you down , sucks even more when little things screw up your plans .
Now to wait for another good day

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try to stay positive and dwell on the good things in your life, and be glad your not my age!

·
Super Moderator
59,411 Posts
RWG75 said:
Kurt - it's that white stuff on top of the mountains way in the distance and I was there too.

There's Sno-Fiter and Sno-Commander and I'd say more option package than trim package.

Fiter came first, had full body yel / blk stripe. Commander had Prospector style decal. Both built around Meyer power angle plows running off an engine driven pump. Included aux cooler for autos w/ dash idiot light. Fiter most often seen on 200s, Commander could be had on 100s and it rocked.
I thought one was RCs/TDs, and the other was trucks, but I have only seen a few, and never studied them.

The light was a tranny temp sensor, wasn't it?

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
Furyschild said:
Finally a nice ,dry ,no wind, health allowing me to feel good day to get my 45rh transmission service done .
Had everything I thought I needed to get the job done .
Everything was going great , didn't cover myself or driveway with fluid when I got pan loose , draining well , finally got to point where I took take pan off, to my surprise y-pipe was not low enough to allow this to come off . Of course the flange bolts rusted to point where a socket going to get nut off but not enough to break bolts either, So in the end had to leave the truck sit until I can get flange bolts cut off .Completely worn out
Sucks when health issues slow you down , sucks even more when little things screw up your plans .
Now to wait for another good day
SOMETIMES if you turn the pan round and round it gets to a "spot" where it will come off .

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
SuperBurban said:
I thought one was RCs/TDs, and the other was trucks, but I have only seen a few, and never studied them.

The light was a tranny temp sensor, wasn't it?
Yup, mounted in left side pod along with a decal explaining to put it in neutral until light goes out. I always thought it was a model year / marketing thing. Original target audience being the commercial plow guys. Here's a 79 p/u Commander and as far as I know they don't repop that decal only the full side Fiter stripe.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
I didn't work on the 74 RC today, but I cruised my 70 Coronet R/T for about 150 miles round trip up to the Texas Mile to see Jesse James and his team go for 207.9mph in is 1984 Dodge Rampage. 

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
shanker said:
I didn't work on the 74 RC today, but I cruised my 70 Coronet R/T for about 150 miles round trip up to the Texas Mile to see Jesse James and his team go for 207.9mph in is 1984 Dodge Rampage.
Oh. I want to do the Texas Mile!
I was going to do the Mojave Mile before they shut it down... but they don't allow "Mud/ Snow" rated tires. I think they thought I would embarrass some street cars. ;D
What has Jesse have under the hood of that Rampage? Please don't tell me it's a GM engine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It’s a roots supercharged Texas Speed LS engine.  When they built it on Monster Garage, it was said to have been 1200hp

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Went w/ the heater box clean out. Got the tempress nicest one, made in the good ole USA. Amazon.com : TCH Hardware 4" Black Round Deck Plate Inspection Hatch - Screw Off Water Tight Lid : Sports & Outdoors
https://www.amazon.com/TCH-Hardware-Black-White-Inspection/dp/B082LTGT34 welded up some cracks in the inner doors, both sides. Some spot welds had cracks around them. Didn't take a picture of them though. Put some 3M double sided tape and vapor barrier on and closed em back up.
Got all the wiring done and stero system installed. It is LOUD. Im the process of completing the big 5. Waiting on some more batt. Lugs

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
Went w/ the heater box clean out.
Nice work!
Looks factory.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks kurt, easy access. Got tired of blowing it out w/ the air gunand having bits of debri everywhere. Also pulled a 12" ish twig out of there. Wouldn't have thought that would have made its way in there😁                    also oblonged the screw holes on the glove box so it would open and close propperly

·
Registered
492 Posts
got a new windshield installed today and put 46 miles on the truck for it's shake down.

Truck drives and stops GREAT except for a pretty bad shake at 20-25mph.  It doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in, accelerating, decelerating, coasting.

I got a tip to check the toe on it which I've never done even after the axle swap.  I was too excited to get it running/driving that I forgot so I'm going to put a tape measure on it tomorrow and hope that's the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Almost got a Getrag back together for the '84.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Up to 151 miles put on the Ramcharger in 4 days.  Only issue that has shown up is the oil pressure sending unit doesn't work more often than it does and the front passenger side D60 axle seal is dripping gear oil :(

On the first 40 miles logged, it worked out to 6.8mpg.

But witnessing the joy of my wife finally getting to drive her truck on the beach and my 10 year old is absolutely enamored with the truck is the priceless part.

It crossed my mind to see if I could drag that bouy in, but I don't have any bumpers or legit anchor points so I didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
shanker said:
Up to 151 miles put on the Ramcharger in 4 days. Only issue that has shown up is the oil pressure sending unit doesn't work more often than it does and the front passenger side D60 axle seal is dripping gear oil :(

On the first 40 miles logged, it worked out to 6.8mpg.

But witnessing the joy of my wife finally getting to drive her truck on the beach and my 10 year old is absolutely enamored with the truck is the priceless part.

It crossed my mind to see if I could drag that bouy in, but I don't have any bumpers or legit anchor points so I didn't.
Coolness abounds!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Flatlander here, so maybe I'm misinformed.....but isn't driving on the beach a good recipe for kickstarting rust?

I knew a guy who drove his fairly new Cordoba on the beach many years ago and within a year or two the car was rusting in places he didn't know cars could rust.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
they spray the same salt water on the roads here , a de-icer or granular salt activator ...

·
Registered
492 Posts
TheBohunk said:
Flatlander here, so maybe I'm misinformed.....but isn't driving on the beach a good recipe for kickstarting rust?

I knew a guy who drove his fairly new Cordoba on the beach many years ago and within a year or two the car was rusting in places he didn't know cars could rust.
Sand, no, but the people who drive thru the salt water or the wet sand and don't rinse it off are the ones who have rot boxes.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
shanker said:
Sand, no, but the people who drive thru the salt water or the wet sand and don't rinse it off are the ones who have rot boxes.
Simple chemistry.
When we used to go to Pismo Beach for a week vacation... a few years back now. There were two "river" crossings if you went south from the camping area. At high tide, you needed to time the wave action right so as to not get hit by a wave. These were fairly flat, wide crossings with the wave not necessarily having a lot of height, but lots of speed. Back in '75, I crossed one with bad timing. A fast 16" wave hit my tires and sailed over my whole truck. I immediately went back to town and found a .50 ('75... remember back then?) do it yourself wash wand place. And thoroughly hosed it off.
We would always see guys running through the shore break at low tide. ::) I would just cringe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
shanker said:
So there's no residual salt in the beach sand?

7741 - 7760 of 7802 Posts