Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 7802 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1979 440 Plymouth Trailduster. This truck needs tons of work.  I spent the day freezing outside trying to install plugs, cables, coil, valley pan, cap, and rotor. I also removed my broken exhaust pipes that were hanging down. The previous owner was a driver if you know what I mean. How about you?

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Evian said:
I recently purchased a 1979 440 Plymouth Trailduster. This truck needs tons of work. I spent the day freezing outside trying to install plugs, cables, coil, valley pan, cap, and rotor. I also removed my broken exhaust pipes that were hanging down. The previous owner was a driver if you know what I mean. How about you?
Sounds like you had a good day.

I know if I had a big block 79 RC I'd be out in the freezing cold wrenching on it with a smile.

As for me, no old dodge to speak of any more. Still looking though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry you will find one. When gas was $4.40 a gallon, trucks that got 5 mpg were available everywhere for under $1500. Haven't you notice that those trucks are now on the street again. Many were placed in storage and others were sold.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
I'm (currently) working at installing the 2.3L Turbo Diesel & 5-Speed Overdrive Transmission into my '85 W50.

If only i can find the Rear Main Seal, gotta be one on the shelf in the garage somewhere (thought i didnt order one, remembered i did, now i can't find where i put it.

I already made the Engine Mounts, Engine was overhauled (even though it only had 30k on it.. just to be safe because i wasn't sure what sort of maintence the prior owner did to it), Transmission was torn apart and checked over (looks A-1), Turning the Flywheel right now, New Clutch & Pressure Plate ready too.

Once i get the Motor & Transmission in, i've gotta buy a $100 (plus tax & shipping) Valve Cover for it.  The engine came out of a Rolled over truck, and the Fence Post that went through the hood beat the valve cover into pieces  :eek:

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
tried to sell it ;D

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Evian said:
Don't worry you will find one. When gas was $4.40 a gallon, trucks that got 5 mpg were available everywhere for under $1500. Haven't you notice that those trucks are now on the street again. Many were placed in storage and others were sold.
that was me. i tried selling, just wasnt in the cards at the time. but in the end it stayed in the car port.

·
Super Moderator
30,004 Posts
I looked out the window at mine, thought about going for a ride, then thought about how long it would take to warm up the tires and not ride like a tracked APC and went back to watching TV.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
New door hinge pin/bushing kits....

Paul

Then went in the house after my daughter and her family left....grabbed a coffee, went back outside, fired up a smoke and just looked from one side to the other....thinking "that even looks better".... ;D

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am working on the replacement arm rest for mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
I walked by mine a couple of times.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Hybrid 1ton said:
Thats some really nice wood work man.
I was just going to say that....looks sharp!....

Paul

·
Registered
52,907 Posts
I sanded drywall and hung cabinets........ OH WAIT. I looked at my wifes 85 RC between the house and garage. I looked at the 77 400 RC sitting next to the shed last Sat along with the 80 TD two trucks down from that and then I did glance at the 77TD "The Lose Screw" my trail rig all in the same trip when I got my vinyl roller to put the flooring in the kit. Does that count?  ;D

I have E-brake cables, wiper blades, and a relay for the wiper motor in the wife's 85 RC once the kit is done......  {cool}

Oh yeah and when I'm done painting a 66 caddy and then body work and painting a 65 corvar corsa, I'll get to working on the frame swap on the 80TD 318 4 speed. OH and somewhere in there I need to get the "lose screw" idling correctly and my 82 W350 on a new frame also........

Well then I guess I have some work to do!  :eek:

Why did you bring this up? My now I feel overloaded..........  ;D

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Thought about the parts I have ordered for the 91. Pulled it in front of the shop to be worked on tomorrow if my EGR valve gets here. Checking out the speaker wiring so I can install the stereo I have for it. Need to replace/fix the sloppy steering (bad couplier).

G

·
I kicked the rusty tailpipe out and then drove it to the grocery store. I'm thinking now the old truck might need some attention.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I returned the Optima that died under waranty.  I hope the new one will last at least over night.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hybrid 1ton said:
Thats some really nice wood work man.
Thanks I tried to get the stain as close as possible to the dash.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I was trying to tidy up the shop last night,and I tossed a crumpled up tarp in the back of the RC to get it the hell out of my way. The truck sits in the corner of the garage and doesn't have the top on it,so it's pretty damn convenient to toss miscellaneous items in the back.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Not_A_Blazer said:
I was trying to tidy up the shop last night,and I tossed a crumpled up tarp in the back of the RC to get it the hell out of my way. The truck sits in the corner of the garage and doesn't have the top on it,so it's pretty damn convenient to toss miscellaneous items in the back.
{yes} Thats what I do with my pickup too, it ends up being a trash can/empty beer can holder....::) ;D

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 7802 Posts