Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was doing a filter change for a turbo 400 at work. never done one before but it wasnt that hard.

but then came time to refill. so we (my buddy and i) had to look up fluid capacity.

there was 2 figures. 11 quarts and 6 quarts. said 11 quarts dry and 6 quarts change and refill. so common sense said it was 6 quarts.

but to be on safe side my buddy went and asked our sergeant.

he didnt know but said he assumed it was 11 quarts. his logic was if we drained fluid then "its dry"

my logic was we only needed 6 and the remaing quarts were for a drained torque converter. but like i said i ve never changed a filter before and this guy has been in service for a llong time.

so we initially put 6 quarts in. looks a bit low on dip stick but we wait. eventually it rises exactly to full point. so i have my boss check it out. when he gets there the level looks low again.

so we add 2 more quarts in. level is now too high

as im inspecting the humvee i see a puddle of atf on ground. it was leaking from output shaft of t case.

im assuming we over filled it and blew out the seals, am i worng?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
They could be joined. I wouldn't think so, but I'm not famililar with that set up. As already stated, 11q with empty converter.

·
Registered
619 Posts
the seals may not be gone. just drain it and put in 6 quarts. the reason for the fluctuating fluid level i believe is because there are two markings on the trans dipstick. one for cold fluid and one for hot, just like on a power steering dipstick.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the fluid does fluctuate.

but once it got hot it sloshed around too much to get a good reading.

they arent really joined. its something similar to a NV231 but a full time version.

it also uses atf. my best guess is as the tranny output seal leaked extra fluid into t case and pressure built until it leaked outta the t case.

i dont think the t case seal is blown out for good but rather releasing excess pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.