Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this huge box in my left inner (drivers side) fender that has lots of wires going to 2 connectors and some sort of vacuum line coming out of it. does anyone know what this thing does? can't find it in my hayes manual anywhere.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since I went with an edelbrock intake and am going with a msd ignition and coil whats left to manage on my engine? I'll unplug it when i get my igniton installed and see what it does or doesn't do. The less wires the better!!

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
a Black box / Hmm thats left over from some secret space alien roswell thing / you better contact the Seti team

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I seen it on the X-files.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If the regulator is in the box,it should be esay enough to retro in one from an older truck .the alternators are pretty much the same in both setups.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You will have to replace the ignition system to use the new manifold/carb. Just got finished doing i myself. The "black box" uses feedback from sensors in the manifold, carb etc. that you don't have now with the new fuel system you have. Here is a link to a website with the information you need to convert your system.
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/leanburn.htm

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just use the same stuff you'd use to convert an ole points-type to electronic ignition. Many places sell the Mopar Performance kit. Ya need a carb that has the right vac signal port, vac advance distributor, ECU, and wiring. And no, the VR is on the firewall, so no probs there.
Your carb prolly doesn't have that port (the "box" advanced the ignition), but it can easily be added. I did that to my Thermoquad when I ditched my 'puter.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The edelbrock has a port for the distributor. I have not had any problems with it. I threw the puter in the trash a long time ago and like the msd set up.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Spark Control Computer. The 'black box' manages ignition timing, fuel mixture (feedback carbs), and transmission torque converter lockup. To keep everything in working order with an MSD ignition, all you have to do is hook the original coil positive (+) wire up to the MSD box's small gauge red wire ('on' wire).

If your truck has been running poorly, replace the vacuum line leading to the black box. The SCC makes timing adjustments based on engine vacuum info...if that line is cracked or otherwise leaking, your ignition timing can be FUBAR.

Deleteing the whole box from my engine bay involved installing: standard electronic distributor w/ vac advance, non feedback carb, electronic ignition (any type...standard, MSD, Jacobs, etc.). The drawback is my torque converter no longer locks-up between 35-48 mph. It is possible to rig up a toggle switch to lock up the TC, but is slightly more involved than just hooking wires up to a switch, and I have not done this mod yet.

-SM

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got a 4 speed so I lock it up by way of the left foot.... I think i'm gonna save up for a DUI kit since its a one-wire/one-vacuum hose hook up. re-gap my plugs and throw that black box in the trash along with the million wires that go into it. I gotta keep it simple cause i'm stupid.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I got mine out of a junk yard for $50.00. It included the distributor, ECU and all of the wiring under the hood. I got it home and removed the wiring I needed from the rest of the mess and discarded what I didn't need. Just be sure, if you go this route, to get a distributor with the single pickup.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Amp gauge---I am not sure. The box does take the input from the temp sensor in the head, then a separate wire runs from the computer to the gauge. I found this out while removing the box from my '87. Was not a big deal to me, as I was replacing all of my gauges with aftermarket gauges anyway. I am unsure if simply hooking the sending unit wire to the gauge would make it work, or if the 'computer' does something to the signal before it is sent to the gauge.

You can upgrade your ignition, basically bypassing the 'computer's' control of your engine, and leave the remaining funtions of the computer intact. Unless you are dead-set on getting the box and it's wiring out of there, that is the route I would recommend. :-\

-SM

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The puter in my 85 is lying in a box under my work bench. The gauges all work the same as they have for 17 yrs.
What's the FSM say about what controls what? I'd say the carb'd trucks don't vary much on what the SCC does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts