Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, still training before I go to Iraq with my national guard unit. I've been milling some thoughts over in my head about what I can do to the doodge when I get back. 2 1/2 ton axles shouldn't be that hard to come by for me, so I'm leaning towards them. (By the way, the army and all of the guard units are doing away with the old 800 series 2 1/2 ton trucks, the parts, axles, and even whole trucks should be hitting the auctions pretty soon). A rebuilt 440 with the RV cam and possibly aftermarket heads bolted to my np241 and a 205 that my brother's gonna keep an eye out for. One question though, should I use my 1/2 ton short bed frame? The advantage is I've already got it, the disadvantages are that it might not hold up to the deuce axles and it'll be alot more work to change the body, wiring etc. to a ton frame. Will the 1/2 ton short bed frame hold up? The truck will see mostly mud with the occasional light/medium trail action. I know the question's vague, but any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Why in the world would you want 2 1/2 ton axles? for light medium trail action i wouldn't worry about it with factory offered suspension.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
You will need to run at least 44s with those rockwell axles since they have like 7.38 gears in them. Dana 60s or 70s would be easier.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think FULLSIZE did just that to his, the rockwells, though he's shooting for a rockcrawler I think. Might want to check in the picture section and/or CA Chapter Board, there might be some info that's of interest to you.

I also think he has his build up documented over at pirate4x4 or pavementsucks, can't remember which one :)

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i think 2.5 ton axles are way overkill for ur application. mud and light trails would only require d60s, although u might could get away with stock axles. unless u play at tellico and dayton all year long, get some 60s. other than that, it sounds good.

Duane

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Mud and light trails just leave it alone, if you need d60's for mud and light trails i gotta start buying chevys

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still just milling this over in my head. Everyday it seems like something else comes up that I'd have to get to do the conversion. As far as overkill, I know it definately would be, but wouldn't it be cool?????

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The hp loss those rears soak up, i don't think so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.