Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sneeking suspision that my flex plate is done for, so I was wondering just exactly what do I need to replace a flex plate in my truck? All tools and stuff. I am also figureing on while I am in there why not throw in a shift improver kit in your opions what kit do you guys think is better the B&M shift improver pack or the Transgo kit?

·
Registered
190 Posts
It seems odd that a flex plate would just crap out. It's just a steel disk with four holes in the ears. More likely would be a torque converter issue, but I can't judge from here. What is it doing? My tranny was done by a former Dealer mech who put in B&M and TCI parts to his liking. Can't speak to that issue...

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
TV Larsen really likes the Transgo kits in his trannies...
And, I'd agree, flex plates don't break very often... What's it doing/not doing ?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There are some heavier duty flex plates available. One looks the same but without the cutouts in the 4 ears. Others are B&M and are quite a bit larger. Why do you think it needs replacing?

·
5,141 Posts
I cracked a flex plate on 3 of the 4 ears, and I was just doing daily driving with some mild wheeling.

To replace it you will need:
new flexplate
tranny jack, or floor jack
sockets, ratchet
wrenches
about 10 quarts of tranny fluid

Not knowing if you have a 360 or 318, you will have to make sure you get the holes on the flex plate and torque coverter lined up before you tighten the tranny to motor bolts. If they aren't lined up before hand, it can be a hassle getting them in the right place

If you need any more help, or have questions let me know. I have pulled and installed trannies in my truck about 4-5 times in the past year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the reasion I think my flex plate is on it's way out, is because I am hearing the same sound I heard the last time it went... I am thinking that the idel on my carb is a little bit high and since my truck was ideling too high it put too much preasure on the flex plate when I would shift into gear... then again I haven't had anyone here to help my diagnose my truck I really need someone to hold down my break pedal so I can crawl under my truck and listen with my stethascope to the tranny. prepair for the worst hope for the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts