Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't on my truck, it's on my friend's 86 Cutlass. We installed a Olds 350 and now we are attempting to crank it up, and the wire that goes from the battery/ignition to the starter is melting. And the motor is turning over too slow. Could this be a bad starter?

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
ramcharger_blue02 said:
This isn't on my truck, it's on my friend's 86 Cutlass. We installed a Olds 350 and now we are attempting to crank it up, and the wire that goes from the battery/ignition to the starter is melting. And the motor is turning over too slow. Could this be a bad starter?
A short to ground,
too high of a current for the wire,
high impedance due to the wire being old and brittle....

Yes, it could definately be the starter. Change it!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Don't you mean resistance? Impedance is similar but not quite the same.

Mac

dodge8564 said:
A short to ground,
too high of a current for the wire,
high impedance due to the wire being old and brittle....

Yes, it could definately be the starter. Change it!

G

·
If it's the ignition wire, as you say, then it doesn't go "to" the starter, it comes "from" the starter. GM uses the starter solenoid as a power junction. That wire should be an ignition switched circuit. Look for the problem between your ignition switch and the terminus of that wire. .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the wires are all brand new. Brought the starter to a-zone, and had it tested - dead. So i have a new one in there now. But now when i turn the key, battery is good and fully charged, i get just a click. No cranking at all.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
ramcharger_blue02 said:
No the wires are all brand new. Brought the starter to a-zone, and had it tested - dead. So i have a new one in there now. But now when i turn the key, battery is good and fully charged, i get just a click. No cranking at all.
Did they run up the new one? Also, check your grounds. The battery should ground to the engine block. Or you could have fried your wire harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.