Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Haynes manual calls for ATF +3, but I can't find it anywhere, and i've heard that its pretty much nonexistent anymore. I've read that ATF+4 is compatable, as well as type F. What's the best to use?

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Burn the Haynes manual.  They are junk and literally worse than having nothing due to misinformation.  Pick up a FSM.

The original fluid was Dexron III, but that has been discontinued and superceded by several different versions over the years.  Currently the best fluid is ATF +4, but it is expensive and a bit of a waste for an old truck.  Any fluid that says it is Dexron III compatible or meets those specs should be fine.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Agreed, but I think 85 was dexeron II, not III.  ;)  Def not ATF+3 or +4 Those were early 90's, and 2000's things. Or actually, wasn't there a 4570 or something.

The haynes is right, in the fact that the ATF+4 is the factory recommended fluid even for older trannies. 

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
With Mopar there was ATF, which was Dexron then Type 7176, ATF +3 and then ATF +4.  Not sure if anything else has come out since I've been out of the Parts deal.  There were others, usually for specific vehicles like the ones Mercedes had their hands on or other oddballs.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Yea, 7176 is the one I was thinking of.

I do believe the +4 is the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm running ATF +4 in mine.  Seems fine.  Expensive, but fine.  Previously it just had OReilly ATF in it.  It was fine on the that too.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Back in the day (70s) folks would use type F in 727's to get firmer shifts. It was essentially the same as using "trick shift" fluids.

I once put ATF+3 in a 85 D350 to top it off. When I went to drive it 4 days later it wouldn't move. I pulled the 727 & had it rebuilt. The transmission guy said there was only normal wear & no reason for it to not move, that my converter must have went bad. Coincidence? Maybe but I never bought ATF=3 again.

Bucky

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ATF+4, if you use dextron you have to use a friction modifier

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
That is incorrect.  Dexron (no T) is the OEM spec fluid.

·
Registered
845 Posts
712edf said:
Back in the day (70s) folks would use type F in 727's to get firmer shifts. It was essentially the same as using "trick shift" fluids.

I once put ATF+3 in a 85 D350 to top it off. When I went to drive it 4 days later it wouldn't move. I pulled the 727 & had it rebuilt. The transmission guy said there was only normal wear & no reason for it to not move, that my converter must have went bad. Coincidence? Maybe but I never bought ATF=3 again.

Bucky
More likely the converter check valve got a speck of dirt in it and didn't seal, letting the fluid drain back. It won't refill the converter in park. Put the selector in neutral for a bit, while it's idling, and it will refill.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I did run it in neutral. Tried everything. Anyways that was 15 years ago. I don't run autos any more.

Bucky

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mercon dexron III again if you want to use that in your Chrysler transmission use a friction modifier

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That's what we did when I used to work in a transmission shop. It was in a 275 gallon tank just pumped it in and then used a bottle of friction modifier.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Just caught the no(t)😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.