Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 dodge, and I have seen pictures of these trucks with aftermarket gauges installed in the factoru pod holes.

Anyone know which size, brands fit best?

I may look at upgrading mine to the aftermarket.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure that you just have to match the size to the stock ones, but I haven't bothered to take the cluster apart and measure yet becasue I haven't decided it I'm going to make a whole new panel or not yet.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
check VDO and auto meter.... i THINK they should fit... but i am not sure.... the only way to make sure is measure

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Any 2 1/8" guage will fit with a little modification. If you look inside your guage bezel, you will see an inner lip. Remove said lip, and they fit perfectly. If I knew how to post pics here, I would show how it's done on pre-81 trucks.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Those are AutoMeter 2 1/8" guages. They require a 2 1/16" hole. Unfortunately I couldn't find a 2 1/16" hole saw, so rattitude used a dremel and a right-angle die grinder (i think).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
what about the back of the cluster????? how was that dealt with since the guages go back into the houseing????

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
cu it off flush. look closely at the pics

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Very cool. Can the OEM speedo be used? I really like this, because the stock guages leave allot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I don't see why not, as long as you don't cut out the "tunnel" for it.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I did this, and still use the factory fuel & speedo.

I used a 2 1/8" hole saw, and mine work fine, but I did use the brackets on the back that hold them in.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
anyone know if an aftermarket speedo that'll fit in the stock size hole?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts