Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking to just get a new transmission from Jegs with my 205 divorced transfercase do I need a 2WD 727 or a 4WD 727 or it doesn't matter? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome, you will need a 4wd 727 if it is a married setup, ie they go together. I am assuming you got the 205 separate from your pictured rig?

If it is divorced you will need a short tailshaft 727 with an attached output yoke ie it bolts on. You will have driveshaft work ahead of you either way of you are swapping in the 205 from a 203 or 208.

After looking at your picture closely looks like your rig has been axle swapped. Also looks like you have an early 70s trailduster which would have been half ton.

Let us know more about your rig and we can help you further.

Neil

Reactions: Eleanor76

·
Registered
28,585 Posts
you cant use a Divorced T-case in a short wheel base RC , the RC is designed for a Married T-case , you would never get a rear D-shaft to work right

plus your RC is a "full-time" 4x4 system and the ONLY T-case to use is a 203 , unless your changing the rearends out

besides l,d upgrade to a 241 t-case which has the best low range gear out of all dodge t-cases and is just as strong as a 205 and is a 100 Lbs lighter

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
The axles are already swapped for D60s, but it will be very hard to put a divorced transfer case in a Ramcharger, especially with the longer pinion snout of the rear D60. With the part time D60s installed, you can use pretty much any Dodge transfer case EXCEPT the NP203. I also disagree that the NP241 is anywhere near as strong as a gear driven NP205, but the NP241 does have a lower low range gear.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
912 Posts
The internet made the 205 famous, made it seem like the "only" transfer case to have. Sure its tough, but it weighs a ton and the low range sucks. Even with the 3/4 ton axles he could still use a 203, just need to lock the hubs in permentaly or get drive flanges. If you had a 203 originally then itll be tough to bolt up anything else. If you had a 208 originally you can bolt in a 208, 205, 241 (this is assuming your drivetrain isn't stock based on your pictures and the fact that you gave us no info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, you will need a 4wd 727 if it is a married setup, ie they go together. I am assuming you got the 205 separate from your pictured rig?

If it is divorced you will need a short tailshaft 727 with an attached output yoke ie it bolts on. You will have driveshaft work ahead of you either way of you are swapping in the 205 from a 203 or 208.

After looking at your picture closely looks like your rig has been axle swapped. Also looks like you have an early 70s trailduster which would have been half ton.

Neil
It's been frame swapped to a 1974 power wagon frame that has been shorten 205 already in the truck and connected to front axel need to shorten the other shafts or mod them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The axles are already swapped for D60s, but it will be very hard to put a divorced transfer case in a Ramcharger, especially with the longer pinion snout of the rear D60. With the part time D60s installed, you can use pretty much any Dodge transfer case EXCEPT the NP203. I also disagree that the NP241 is anywhere near as strong as a gear driven NP205, but the NP241 does have a lower low range gear.
It's a power wagon frame that has been shortened 205 already in the truck and good to go just gotta shorten some shafts for the rear and I think the trans to tf shafts needs to be modified aswell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The internet made the 205 famous, made it seem like the "only" transfer case to have. Sure its tough, but it weighs a ton and the low range sucks. Even with the 3/4 ton axles he could still use a 203, just need to lock the hubs in permentaly or get drive flanges. If you had a 203 originally then itll be tough to bolt up anything else. If you had a 208 originally you can bolt in a 208, 205, 241 (this is assuming your drivetrain isn't stock based on your pictures and the fact that you gave us no info
Already have the 205 in the truck and mounted it's a 1974 power wagon200 frame that was shortened for the trailduster body. I wanna just use the 205 if i can make it work not planning to do any serious off roading nowhere really to offroad in the middle of los Angeles lol.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Roughly how far is it from the rear output of your tcase to the input yoke on the rear axle?

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Ok, so the front axle is the original W200 drum brake D44? I would think about a knuckle-out swap to get disc brakes and internal locking hubs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so the front axle is the original W200 drum brake D44? I would think about a knuckle-out swap to get disc brakes and internal locking hubs.
Yeah planning on doing disc brakes, I'll have to look into the knuckle-out swap thanks for the suggestion. just trying to get the motor trans in the car and running to make it easier to move around to work on at the moment hard to push this big truck around on uneven ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roughly how far is it from the rear output of your tcase to the input yoke on the rear axle?
I can get that measurement once it cools down a bit been really hot lately in my area, I have the measurements written down for the rear drive shaft length I can post that once I am able if that helps.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have this set up in my '74 W-100. It came that way from the factory. No 60's though.
I even moved my 205 back 14" a few years back to accommodate a Gear Vendors over drive. Yes, I changed all the driveshafts to pull that stunt off.
As mentioned already, you'll need the "shorty' 727 aka "The Motorhome transmission" .
You shouldn't have a problem with length. My truck is a short bed. It's a little longer than a Ramcharger/ Trailduster. But as I mentioned, I moved my 205 back quite a bit. Essentially making it as short, or shorter than a Ramcharger/ Trailduster. I would recommend running a C/V joint in the rear drive shaft
because it's kinda short.

Here's a better view. Courtesy of my truck being upside down about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have this set up in my '74 W-100. It came that way from the factory. No 60's though.
I even moved my 205 back 14" a few years back to accommodate a Gear Vendors over drive. Yes, I changed all the driveshafts to pull that stunt off.
As mentioned already, you'll need the "shorty' 727 aka "The Motorhome transmission" .
You shouldn't have a problem with length. My truck is a short bed. It's a little longer than a Ramcharger/ Trailduster. But as I mentioned, I moved my 205 back quite a bit. Essentially making it as short, or shorter than a Ramcharger/ Trailduster. I would recommend running a C/V joint in the rear drive shaft because it's kinda short. View attachment 619216
Thank you very much this is the answer I was looking for. 🤘

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Neil
Thanks for the help. 🤘

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
If it is divorced you will need a short tailshaft 727 with an attached output yoke ie it bolts on. You will have driveshaft work ahead of you
Neil
Agreed. The trans would come from an early (pre 75) dodge power wagon, or 2wd club and crew cabs, or motorhomes.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Yea, that does not sound bad. Does say "Pending Manufacturer availability", that might be an issue.

·
Registered
28,585 Posts
It's been frame swapped to a 1974 power wagon frame that has been shorten 205 already in the truck and connected to front axel need to shorten the other shafts or mod them.

all that info would have been great at the beginning

1 - 20 of 21 Posts