Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im considering welding my front spider gears since the only time i will have my hubs locked in is when im diging i dont see how it would cause any problems would like to hear any feed back on this from people who have tried it ;D

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Not true.

I welded the front of my dana 60. Yes it is harder to steer, but not that hard. As long as you are moving you have full steering. The only time it is real hard is if you are crawling big rocks and trying to turn the wheel with out moving or the tires spinning, and that is with big tires (36" or larger).

To fix that I added hydro assist. Now it is easy to turn no matter what.

·
Registered
397 Posts
any extra traction device will be harder to steer ....make sure your u joints are in good shape .they could explode with the extra traction

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You should carefully weigh your options. If steering in 4wd is more important to you, then welding the gears will hurt your steering performance as the tires will try to pull straight.

Think tank tracks. If you steer in soft terrain, both tires are rolling at the same rate so they will try and pull the truck in a straight line. Tank tracks allow steering by slowing one side in relation to the other side. The spider gears in your axle also allow tire speed to differ from one side to the other for steering. Welding them will make the front axle more likely to pull in a straight line. Now if you off road in straight lines, then this shouldn't be a problem. But for trails and ruts, your steering will be less responsive

Yes you can unlock a hub, but then you've defeated the reason why you welded the gears in the first place, and you'll have less traction.

For overall off roading, traction I would suggest improving the rear axle traction. As for the front, either leave it alone with the rear improved, or use a limited slip in the front, or use a selectable locker, that way you can have the front unlocked for steering off road, or locked for straight line off roading.

Ed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually i don't go offroading for fun. I sell classic car parts on ebay and pull a trailer to pick up parts cars, seems they're always in some muddy hole down some large enbankment. I am new to 4x4's so maybe I'm over estimating my traction needs. I have a limeted slip for the rear but was thinking that all 4 wheels pulling would be alot better. 8) my trailer is heavy as well as the 50's, 60's, and 70s models of cars I deal with I don't mind putting a little extra muscle in to it as long as it is possible to get it to go in the right direction and it often will be in a strait line 8)

i

G

·
http://www.lockright.com
Do yourself a favor before you waste your time and scratch check the above website out, these lockers are cheap an extremly easy to do. Never had any lasting luck w/ welding up and I have also run a spool twice w/ one broken axle. If you have "no give" eventually something will usually an axle or u joint.

longram413 said:
im considering welding my front spider gears since the only time i will have my hubs locked in is when im diging i dont see how it would cause any problems would like to hear any feed back on this from people who have tried it ;D

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well i got a ARB and let me tell you, wait wait till you hit that mud and gotta turn and you plow straight, or the snow, or even that mud embankment and you just can't hit it square and lose traction, you'll wish you had a selectable locker, if your worried about this
as long as it is possible to get it to go in the right direction and it often will be in a strait line
then spend the money and get a selectable.

I have a selectable locker and i am thankful i can turn mine off, and i have had to several times when the mud/clay/snow just wouldn't allow the truck to turn, get on a off camber road leaning to the left and it's clay and wet and you gotta make a hard turn right and aside for the constant slipping to the bottom of the trail, that right turn just may never ever happen

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I have mine welded and I like it, OFF ROAD ONLY, if you do drive it on the street , DONT DO IT, you wont like it, my truck is "OFF ROAD ONLY",yes I Still break axles somewhat regularly, but i carry spares and can swap a front d44 shaft in about an hour now, If i was filthy rich I would do the ARB, but I would wait til I had a dana 60 before i went and spent big bucks on the arb

·
Registered
22 Posts
The spider gears in my front D44 are welded, the traction is fantastic I have busted one axleshaft at the u-joint where the round area just tore itself to bits but I was going up a very rocky 4 diamond trail and in a hard right turn. I was warned about hard turning and told not to weld them but to be honest it is not a big problem. On some very tight turns I have to back up a couple of times but the difference in the added traction is worth it to me. When I get ready to leave the trail I unlock both hubs and of course the steering is very easy. it is cheap, fast and very effective and if you are in just mud you will not be experiencing the same problems as a rock crawler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts