Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for the last little bit I had been wanting a model 1911 variant pistol in 45ACP as I figured the next item up on my list (an AR platform rifle) was well out of my budget.

Well, lest night a deal literally fell in my lap, so off I was to pick up my new toy.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I haven't had it to the range yet with the good camera to get better pics.

Yeah, I am sure my budget is blown for a while.

Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Im jealous!!!! Good score Eric! What kind of mags does it use!

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
willy J said:
What kind of mags does it use!
I am still new to the AR world Don. Other than different brands such as Colt and Oly and P-mags, etc. I wasn't aware there were different types of magazines other than capacity.

It came with three 30 round magazines and a 3 point sling as well as a 4 rail picatinny front hand guard already mounted and the original front hand guard as well. It also came with approximately 200rds of 55gr FMJ wolf .223.

Eric

PS: it is an Olympic Arms upper and lower.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Nice.  Removable carry handle or fixed? 

I got bit by the AR bug, too.  That's where my budget went.  The last two days have been brutal.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Looks fixed.

Aw man Eric.... For a minute I thought you had an elusive .45ACP AR variant. That is what I would be jealous about! Glad to see you bought an AR though! Check the date of the serial number on the Oly. Early years were not so good.

I thought you had a .45 AR and thats what I wonder what kind of mags it would have fed.

with a regular AR15... get cheap govt surplus mags. By a feed lip guage and repair tool from brownells. Get a spring and follower kit from Magpul. You will have reliable good functioning mags just by doing that at maybe 20 bucks a pop. Magpul polymer mags are totally worth the money also!!! If you want metal then get the Brownells magazines.

There is so many magazines floating around over here I am collecting them and stacking them all in my deployment box to bring home with me.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
willy J said:
Looks fixed.
I couldn't tell....I haven't really seen a removable one except for pics. Everything was fixed when I was in.

I found some C-Products 30 rd aluminum mags at Aim for $7.95. I ordered a couple to see how they are.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Lol.... look for the twist knobs. They stick out the side and on the other side is the bracket that holds it all on the picatinney rail.

Cant remember which side the knobs are on. The one in my lap now has an aimpoint on it. Pretty sure on the removable carry handle for M4s its on the left.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was first told the model number it came up on Oly arms as the removable carry handle version (K3B-M4, $1100 and change MSRP). When I got there it was actually the slightly lower priced version (M.F.R. K3B, $900msrp) with the fixed handle. IMO, not a deal breaker even though I would rather have the removable. Plus, being offered at $500 I wasn't complaining to hard either way, since even using the new $99 complete polymer lowers it is hard to build one for less than $600.

Of course, as swappable as parts are on these things I can see a future upper with a removable handle. ;D

And Ted, when you said you had decided to trim your current inventory and go a different route, I kind of figured it might be the same direction. What'd you get?

Eric

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
That's a hell of a deal.  Congrats!!!!

Of course now your fun can begin. ;D

.....and not to steal your thunder, this is where I'm at.......

Started with a stripped receiver from my local shop....just as cheap as if I had ordered one, paid shipping and transfer fees.  That turned into a parts kit to go with it. 

From there, I progressed to a complete upper, a Daniels Defense rear sight, and a couple 30 rd mags.  I don't have a stock yet cause I blew all my $$....besides, I'm not exactly sure what I want.

Even though the budget is blown, I'm already thinking that I want to build another, except I want to build the upper next time, too.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ramitupurs84 said:
Where can one get those zebra pants at?
They are actually camouflage sweat type pants. Super comfy. i was given them as a gift a few years back so not sure where to get them at Gavin. I wish I knew 'cuz I would take a few more pairs. lol

cooper30 said:
That's a hell of a deal. Congrats!!!!
I thought so to with all of the stuff that came with it.

Of course now your fun can begin. ;D
My fun is going to be keeping the 11 year olds hands off of it. She shot it once and told me I couldn't have it back.

.....and not to steal your thunder, this is where I'm at.......
Not at all Ted. If I didn't want to know I wouldn't have asked.

Started with a stripped receiver from my local shop....just as cheap as if I had ordered one, paid shipping and transfer fees. That turned into a parts kit to go with it.

From there, I progressed to a complete upper, a Daniels Defense rear sight, and a couple 30 rd mags. I don't have a stock yet cause I blew all my $$....besides, I'm not exactly sure what I want.
Very nice. The stock is one thing I think I am going to change on this one as soon as I can. It is ok, but not exactly what I am wanting.

Even though the budget is blown, I'm already thinking that I want to build another, except I want to build the upper next time, too.
I hear you on that. I haven't even had this one 24 hours and can already tell I am going to have to have more than one. I, like you though, think next time it is going to be a full self build

My biggest issue will be with what upper I want to go with. I know I am going to need a different chambering for the next one.

Oh boy, welcome to my new addiction.

We took it out this afternoon to see what it would do and put it through its paces and we got quite a few pics of everyone shooting it. As soon as I have them uploaded I will get them posted.

And, for never having touched one in my life, I was extremely surprised how truly easy these things are to field strip. I don't think the previous owner had ever cleaned it. So, I did that and checked it all out before we went out. Tonight I am going to do a complete strip including FCG and really clean it up.

Not bad though. We were hitting random objects at distances from 200-300 yards with it shooting from sitting with no other support. Just gonna have to stock up on ammunition now though and fine tune the sites.

For Don, I am not familiar with what would be considered early years on these or not. I do know the serial comes back as having been built sometime in 1994. It is a forged receiver and not cast (which to my understanding is what I want). Beveled mag well which made magazine changes nice and easy. Everything fits good and tight on it. Upper to lower fit is nice and solid. No discernible play or wobble when pinned together. No real noticeable wear and tear on any of the internal parts. Just slight paint removal on the inside where the bolt rides.

Only thing I found, other than it hadn't been cleaned in a good long time is the "guide rail" (EDIT: I now know this is the gas key) that mounts to the top of the bolt with the two hex head screws was a bit loose. Sorry for not knowing just yet the proper term for that part. But, 15 seconds with an allen wrench after bolt removal and stripping had those bolts tightened right back up and bolt going into battery nice and firmly. Would a few drops of loc-tite be appropriate for those screws?

For the magazines, one is a 30rd bushmaster no mfg date on it, one is a 30 round "okay" one (large O with a K in a cirle in it and ay) mfg date of 07-04, says made in new britain connecticut, and the third has no manufacturer mark, just a serial number and a mfg date of 01/07.

Bushmaster is labeled 5.56 on the mag follower and is a gray plastic follower. "okay" one on one side says restricted military/gov't/law enforcement/export only. does not specify 5.56 or .223 and has a green plastic follower. And, unmarked one also is not marked 5.56 or .223 and also has a green plastic follower. I do know in the 180 rounds we ran through it, 2 runs through each magazine both rapid fire and single timed fire there was not a single FTF/FTE/FTF. This with a variety of black box wolf 55gr fmj steel case as well as mixed 55gr fmj remington loaded brass and some mil surp head stamped brass.

One question, since on the side of the lower it says 5.56/.223, does this mean it is chambered for 5.56 or for .223? Or, just shoot either and not worry about it?

I know cabelas was having some good large lot sales on .223 that came out to about $00.19 cents a round. So, will probably try and pick some of that up. I also saw on Pirate a bunch of good deals the last couple of days for companies with several varieties of 20 and 30 round mags on sale anywhere from $7 and shipping to $14 and shipping.

Also, on the way home tonight, we stopped off at a friends house to show him the new "toy" and he took me back to his gun room and hooked me up with about 200-250 rds of reloadable brass as well as probably another 100 rounds of live ammunition for it.

And, one last question before I start cleaning the rifle and get pics ready to load. what is the difference in the various trigger groups? I ask as I saw an add early for G2 trigger groups for a really good price using the company sale code and would keep that price until stock was gone.

Like I stated earlier, I am a complete AR newb and other than wanting one for a while had never until last night even held one in my hands. So, any and all info anyone can share on good parts, bad parts, decent parts, stay away at all costs parts, or whatever, will be greatly appreciated.

I know I could go to AR15.com and likely get everything I ever wanted to know about these things. Yet, due to the attitude I have noticed towards some newbs as well as people who do not bow to the holy grail that is Colt or LaRue, you aren't always welcome there.

I figure we have enough people on here that have experience, either real world with people firing back at you, or just members that own them and like to play with them, that I can expect the normal RCC family camaraderie I have come to know and love.

Ok, I will stop babbling for a little while and get some pics for all to enjoy.

Thanks again everyone,

Eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And, as promised, some pictures of us out having fun with it.

Eric

In the various pics you have myself of course, my Girlfriend Amber, and her soon to be 11 year old daughter Shay. Shay is the one who shot it once and said I wasn't ever gonna get it back. She definitely has formed a liking to it.

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition!! ARs are fun and easy to shoot.
The Okay mags are good mags. The unmarked could be anything. The green followers are good. You may want to replace the other followers with these if you start having mag problems.
As for the 5.56/.223 nomenclature, that has to do with pressure specs. Military loads don't to conform to SAAMI specifications. (Civilian loadings don't have to but usually do). Some mfgrs barrels are designed to SAAMI specs, thus the .223 wording while other barrel mfgrs build mil spec barrels (5.56mm). You can shoot either interchangeably but 5.56 is usually loaded just a bit hotter, though not usually noticeable.
The neat thing about ARs is their modularity, you can build them many different ways; tacticool carbines, varmint, competition, three gun rifle, Service rifle comp, home/self defense, truck gun etc. Build an upper as a HB stainless varmint rifle and another upper as a suppressed carbine upper using the same lower. You now have two rifles just by swapping out uppers!
Browse the internet, ask questions and/or pick up some books. The are perhaps more parts made for the AR series than any other gun extant. Browells even has a parts book dedicated to nothing but the AR platform.
Be very careful as they tend to multiply  {noclue} I know because last time I looked in my safe I've got three lowers and four uppers (two-5.56, one .45ACP and one .50 Beowulf). They seem to propagate in there ;D
Good on you for getting your daughter involved in the shooting sports!!
Have fun and be safe.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
440 4spd Power Ram said:
Nice AR, love the shooting pics.. {cool}

I so need to get with the times, the newest Mil-spec rifles I own are a FAL and SVD.
Up till this past week, my newest was an old German Mauser

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The mil-spec ones in my cabients prior to this were an SKS that almost isnt recognizable as such anymore from mid 80s china (Norinco) and a 1943 Mosin-Nagant.

This was definitely a jump on the mil-spec upgrade wagon.

Eric

PS: Anybody know where any super deals are on .223 bulk ammunition? I have suddenly ran drastically short on supply. lmao

PSS: 440 4spd, I have a friend a few hours away that has a FAL I'd like to talk him out of. Needs the barrel threads remachined or a new barrel. One or the other. The main reason I want his though is because it has the full on fun switch on it.  ;D ;D He just lets it sit in the bottom of his tool box collecting dust though. Its a shame really.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
IntenseImages said:
PSS: 440 4spd, I have a friend a few hours away that has a FAL I'd like to talk him out of. Needs the barrel threads remachined or a new barrel. One or the other. The main reason I want his though is because it has the full on fun switch on it. ;D ;D He just lets it sit in the bottom of his tool box collecting dust though. Its a shame really.
Barrels are fairly cheap for a FAL, but I will tell you they don't last long when the switch is all the way down.. {no}

PS, don't know where to get any cheap .223, I load my own for my Mini-14.

Leon

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
440 4spd Power Ram said:
Barrels are fairly cheap for a FAL, but I will tell you they don't last long when the switch is all the way down.. {no}

PS, don't know where to get any cheap .223, I load my own for my Mini-14.

Leon
i reload all of my rifles as well. the only problem is, since i just got this one i dont have a supply of brass or anything for it to get reloaded yet.

i did manage to find some on sale at the local wally world. 100 rds for $39 and change for federal value pack 55gr fmj. best price in the area lately.

I also know cabelas has a sale right now that is 1000 rds bulk that equals out to about 25 cents a round as well as tula arsenal 20 rd boxes at $3.99. but the closest cabelas is 110 miles away.

eric

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.