Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Ram 2500, 4x4, 360, 5 speed. Anyway when I've been driving it a while(like at least 20min or longer) it just decides to shut down. The tach and speedo just quit it sounds like the engine is still running because the exhaust is still burbling(it could just be because the engine is turning) but when I hit the gas I hear either a squeak or air sound(could just be the air flap moving), but nothing happens it just coasts until I stop it and start it up again. It starts up again fairly easily as long as I shut the key all the way off for a few seconds to a minute. Took it to the shop they replaced a broken sensor of some type(I think it was air temp sensor or something), and it did quit smoking and we thought it fixed the problem but it didn't.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
could be any number of things , a bad ignition switch , a bad relay to ,  a bad battery connection . being that the dash speedo also dies , I'd guess its NOT an engine  sensor like air temp ......

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Start with the basics.  Codes, fuel pressure, compression, spark, etc.  Randomly throwing parts at an EFI system can get expensive and may never fix the problem.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
well its a lodgic thing reasoned out , the speedo sensor feeds TO the pcm AND the dash gauge , not thru the pcm to the dash gauge , if it were just A sensor , the dash speedo would not correspond with the engine quitting .  while a power OR ground TO the dash gauges AND the engine sensors would have an effect on both circuts . yes pull codes , if you have NOT disconnected the battery lately , and a code says something like power failure to pcm , well , battery connections , a failing key switch while driving .... its going to be a tough one because of the intermittent .... 

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they ran the codes and that's why they replaced the engine air temp sensor(it did need it). It just didn't fix the dying problem. I'm going to have them check the asd relay and ignition switch, and look at any wiring running to those things.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after ignition switch, tps, coil, add relay, cam sensor, and crank sensor I think they believe it to be the computer. I may have trouble finding one of those.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
my factory books only go to '93 , but the '93 and 95 may be quite simmalure in operation . what I have noted is a wire splice in the wire comming from the pcm going to almost all of the sensors including the crank sensor , and the speed sensor . I suggest getting a fsm for your year ( so the splice locations and wire colors are shown correctly)
finding the common denominator splice I'm speaking of and checking IT . especially if this is a intermittent problem that seems to occure only after a warm engine allows all of the sensors feed back to be used by the pcm. contact dodgeboys he sells fsms . do not try to use an aftermarket cheap repair manual .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We finally found a used ECM that works. It seems to have fixed the problem. Not sure what killed the computer in the first place, but hopefully it don't happen again. I need to fix the plenum and the exhaust now(I leave a 1/2 mile smoke trail behind me when it's cold).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.