Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ran into another problem today, while replacing my run down headlight surrounds with a set of new ones I changed the dim front turn signal bulbs out. Replaced with a set of Sylvania Silver Star 1157 bulbs but now I have the weirdest problem.

When the headlights are not on everything works as normal every turn signal flashes normal, brake lights work, turn on the hazards everything works as normal. Took the lady to dinner, it's dark on our way back I turn the headlights on and no matter what side blinker I turned on the light on the dash stayed illuminated and the outside lights stayed lit with no flash. Alright flasher must be bad, switch out the flasher with a new one and now all my blinkers work except for the front while the headlights are on. Headlights off everything works like normal, the instant I flip on the head lights, front blinkers stop working, everything else continues working even with hazards they don't flash. I checked the ground on the radiator support and it is good. Any ideas?

I've searched and it never really gets answered or it's one of the two things I've done already

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
More than likely a ground issue.
I'm not sure how on your Ramcharger the grounds are wired.
On my '74 there's about a 10-12 gauge wire running right off the battery negative to the radiator core support. It's bolted on there with a ring lug.
If corrosion is built up on that connector or it's loose... you'll have a bad ground.
This is one of the places where our trucks have the main chassis grounding point.
If it seems bad... clean it up including where mounts to the support.
Through the years I've beefed up that ground lead and soldered any ring connectors to the wire to eliminate any issues.
Bad grounds can cause all kinds of weird problems because the system will try to ground elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Definitely a ground issue. Pull the bulbs you changed and make sure nothing was deformed in the socket, and while manipulating the harness, a ground might look okay but have a failure inside the insulation. Check carefully.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Another possibility is a defective bulb(s). Had a strange problem sometime back on assembling my Ramcharger after a restoration,putting all new bulbs in as i went along. Had me scratching my head for a bit.

I'm fortunate to be 2nd owner of always garaged truck and the wiring is in excellent unmolested condition.
I reinstalled original bulbs one at a time til everything worked ok again,then reinstalled the offending bulb and symptoms returned. The bulb in question looked no different than the other new ones. Nothing like building in a problem when you're putting everything in new so you won't have problems.
Everything made in China...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any specific grounds to check out first. Like I said I did clean and check the ground on the radiator support that comes from the harness, I guess I will follow that all the way back to the fuse box. The old bulbs had a minute amount of rust when I pulled them out so I may use a little sand paper in the socket to clean them up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wire brush used to clean inside of 1/2" copper pipe before flux/soldering is perfect size for cleaning out light sockets.
Lowes,Homies has them,couple bucks. Make sure lights are off,no better way to pop a fuse than stick that sucker in there with lights on...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If it was working before changing the bulb and started acting up immediately after the new bulbs I'm leaning toward the dirty/deformed contact in the socket. Have you tried putting the old bulbs back in to see if the problem goes away? If the new brighter bulbs have a higher resistance it might be possible that it's just enough to make the voltage take the path of least resistance due to a preexisting problem that never showed up with the old bulbs - although I not sure how that would allow the bulb to stay lit and not blink...It would depend on how the circuit is wired if that is the case. I've had bulbs that weren't seated in the socket properly acting in a similar way as yours...and that was with brand new bulbs and pigtails/sockets. I put the old pigtail back in and the problem went away.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
1157 bulbs , off set pins , not even with the contacts on end , perhaps 1 has been installed wrong , or is made wrong causing the contacts to short .

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
ViperTruck said:
Any specific grounds to check out first. Like I said I did clean and check the ground on the radiator support that comes from the harness, I guess I will follow that all the way back to the fuse box. The old bulbs had a minute amount of rust when I pulled them out so I may use a little sand paper in the socket to clean them up.
Remove the bulbs you just put in. Checked for damage/deformity, check for correct installation (seen it happen a few times), check for correct bulb and inspect filament. Then if no answer, use multi meter and test for continuity to ground on the contact terminal for each socket. Then if no answer, physically inspect the length of ground wire and make sure you find the correct one to its ground point. there are a couple of ground wires in that area.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
ViperTruck said:
Sorry I missed that in your original post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.