Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a weak spring on the left side front on my 88 w250.  Is it OK to replace only one spring on the front or should they always be done in pairs?  Truck drives good, just trying to get it level in the front.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Replace them in pairs, but the driver side will always be a little lower as it has the driver, fuel tank, steering, braking, battery, and most of the wiring on that side.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1987/02-05-87A.htm

Date: December 7, 1987

Models: 1985-1988 "W"' & "AW" Series Four- Wheel Drive Vehicles

This bulletin supersedes Technical Service Bulletin 02-05-87, adding 1988 models.

Symptom/Condition:

Vehicle leaning or low on the left side

Parts Required: Spring Spacer Package 4397949 Consists of:

1 Spacer PN 4404171
2 U-Bolts PN 4404151 (Spicer Model 44 Axle)
2 U-Bolts PN 4404240 (Spicer Model 60 Axle)
4 Nuts PN 6029459

Repair Procedure:

This repair procedure describes the installation of a spacer block between the left front spring and axle assembly.

1. Using a hoist or hydraulic crane hooked to the towing eyes or at frame attachment, raise truck until weight is removed from front springs.

2. With wheels still touching the floor, install stands under side frame members as a safety precaution,

3. Remove the four nuts, lock washers, and both "U" bolts securing the left spring to the axle.

4. Raise vehicle slightly and insert spring spacer, PN 4404171, between spring and axle. Be sure spring center bolt aligns with locating hole in spacer and axle pad.

NOTE: ONLY ONE SPACER IS TO BE USED - DO NOT STACK.

5. Install the two new "U" bolts, new lock washers, and nuts and tighten until nuts push lock washers against axle spring plate.

NOTE. "U" BOLTS (SHORTER ONES), PN 4404151, ARE TO BE USED ONLY WITH THE SPICER MODEL 44 AXLE. "U" BOLTS (LONGER ONES), PN 4404240, ARE TO BE USED ONLY WITH THE SPICER MODEL 60 AXLE.

6. Remove stands from under frame and lower truck so weight is resting on wheels. Tighten "U" bolt nuts to 95 foot pounds.

Notes:

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No. 02-27-05-90 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.6 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: 6X - Weak

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The thickness of the shim would be nice to know. But even with new Springs freshly installed they all sit lower on the driver side

·
Registered
232 Posts
My ex-wife’s 1989 1 ton had the left lean.  The dealership told her it was because I drove it and was much heavier than she.  I hated that truck and never drove it!  I had to go and set them straight.  They fixed it once they knew they couldn’t yank my chain!

We had a lot of issues with that truck.  The second you hooked a trailer to it the coolant temperature would peg!  That went in for years and every time we’d take it in and they would say there was nothing wrong.  The service manager told us to drive it till it quit so that’s what we did.  Towing a heavy trailer we blew the engine up.  That was kind of fun!  :D  When they replaced the engine the found two three pound coffee cans of solid casting sand in the water jacket of the block.  Never could get it to overheat again.  :)

Sorry for the off topic steer ;)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep block cleaned on monday or friday, maby? Or skipped that process all together 🤯

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That shim was about 5/8 thick.  Can make r own with bottom thick leaf with ends cut off and a new center bolt to hold it together.  Adds half inch

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I would buy some stronger stock-replacement springs. My trucks have had either 3, 5, or 6 leaf springs from the factory.

For a little something to tide you over.... maybe try the 1" spring spacer kit can get from ORD (zero-rate) or DIY4x4 (EZ inch). Run one to get the truck level, and when you finally replace the springs, run both, or sell them again.

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
Broncowilly said:
My ex-wife's 1989 1 ton had the left lean. The dealership told her it was because I drove it and was much heavier than she. I hated that truck and never drove it! I had to go and set them straight. They fixed it once they knew they couldn't yank my chain!

We had a lot of issues with that truck. The second you hooked a trailer to it the coolant temperature would peg! That went in for years and every time we'd take it in and they would say there was nothing wrong. The service manager told us to drive it till it quit so that's what we did. Towing a heavy trailer we blew the engine up. That was kind of fun! :D When they replaced the engine the found two three pound coffee cans of solid casting sand in the water jacket of the block. Never could get it to overheat again. :)

Sorry for the off topic steer ;)
that's funny right there. ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.