Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! Getting ready to pop a poked and stroked 440 (now 505) to replace the tired low comp 440 into my club cab, long bed 77 W200. Kicking out no less than 500# ft torque minimum from 1500 rpm to the trans updated shift points, 5,400. I have a Dana 60 out back which should be able to take the punishment, but I am curious as to how much abuse the front Dana 44 and the NP203 transfer case can take. Experience? Opinions? I might have a line on a front Dana 60, should I make this a priority?

On another note, has anybody tried the OD units from Gear Vendors? I desperately need another gear with the 4.10's I'm running when I hit the highway, and don't want to go to large tires and lift it since its a "work" truck and loading bikes in the back every weekend its much easier at stock height.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The D44's axle joints are going to be the weak link depending on how you wheel it and what tire size you are running.  If you keep your foot out of it while the wheels are turned you can baby the axle joints to live a decent amount of time.  I would guess that before the NP203 becomes a concern, the drive shaft U-joints would be the next weak link, provided the NP203 is healthy and in good working order.  As far as a D60 front goes, if you can get one for a decent price, buy it.

I have never used anything from Gear Vendors, mainly because it costs more than I paid for my truck, lol.  Another option could be a swap to a 518 (46RH) 4 speed auto but it will require some adaptors to mate to the big block, though it has been done before.  This would eliminate your NP203 and full time 4WD however as the NP203 only bolts to the transmissions that were made specifically for it.  On the other hand a mated NP205 would bolt right up to a 518 (46RH).  Another option would be a swap to a NV4500 5 speed which also will mate to a NP205.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
When it comes to full-time Dana 44F-BJ front axle assemblies and NP203 transfer cases, the weakest links are almost always the owners.  ::)

Strong fix?  READ THE FRICKIN' MANUAL!!!  {yes}

Especially the lubrication chart, huh?    ;D

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
the U joints on a dana 44 front are certainly gonna be the weak link. The NP 203 is about as strong of a pickup T case as there is, the NP 205 is about the only stronger one you could swap in.

Its also rather easy to do the part time conversion to a 203 if you decide you hate full time (I did)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aight then, thanks guys! I'm going to ditch the 44 and upgrade to the 60. Guy is asking 1k for the front and rear, so I can go 1/2's with Ally, and she can use the rear for her Ramcharger.

I suppose the A518 would be the ticket, probably cost much less than the GV upgrade. Is that the trans build from the A904? IIRC theres a A555 built from the 727, no?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
a 518 is a 727 w/an OD in the tailshaft housing (over simplified explanation)

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Correct.  The A500 is the 904 based transmission.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, this has been a damned good week. Going to get both the D60's in a week or 2. Looks like I might be plugging the motor into another car though for the moment. Just scored a 1970 383 Barracuda, w/4 speed.  ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts