Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Dodge W-100. I was 4x4ing the other day on a small jeep trail. I was going through deep mud when the truck slid to the side and i ran into a tree on the passenger's side of the bumper. The bumper just bent and messed up my chrome around the lights and the bumper hit the body. My bumper dosent have any supports on the corrners. Does anyone know how to strengthen the stock front bumper? I was thinking L steel down the inside on the bumper.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yeha there is not much to a stock bumper . Just got where it bolts to the frame and it is pretty flimsy . So yeah some support if it is worth keeping that ubmper or get a good off road bumper u can hit something not have the bumper fold like paper

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
exactly.. the stock bumpers seem purely cosmetic.. no good for breaking trails through trees. Just round up a bunch of steel.. and make a RC version of a Road Armor or Bullitproof bumper for it. What good is a bumper that bends? And no talk of crumple zones.. that's what Kia's, Hyundais, and ricers are for.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Get C channel and place it behind the bumper, cut the C channel where needed to make it contour with the factory bumper, then bolt the bumper to the C channel, then weld up a bracket adapter to mate it to the factory bumper bracket, and now you have a bumper and a bumper that when driving through the tall brush and small trees will start pushing it over before it hits your grill, because now it is about 4" further forward or more depending on how you do the bracket adapter

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Marty, sounds like you've done this, do you have some pics of it or know someone who might?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
No pictures guy's sorry, i am going to be a more picture friendly person in the very near future, i only bought a digi cam when i 1st came here, then it blew up, i gotta get a new 1

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah i think it smoked up in july or august, and no money can go for toys until the truck is done with it's current running behind and getting alot of murphy in the way set backs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts