Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased my first RC, the transmission was blown so I don’t have a basis for my rebuilt transmission. My ‘89 RC has 105K miles w/a 727 (3K on trans. rebuild) a 318 TBI 4X4 32x11.50 Mud Terrain tires and no lift. Under normal “on the road” driving conditions everything seems to work fine aside from the occasional clunky shifting. Off-road I have problems in 4H or 2H-the thing just will not move in certain situations even with the accelerator to the floor. 2H does not even offer wheel spin. I’ve been told the truck is heavy and/or has a high stall torque converter. With the truck sitting on level ground it will crawl away @ idle. Is there a problem with the transmission rebuild or is my 318 that weak? The engine uses no oil, doesn’t knock, but smokes sometimes at start-up. This is very frustrating because I bought the truck to go not as a grocery getter. :mad:

·
29,380 Posts
When you say "will not move in certain situations", do you mean on level ground or do you mean on any kind of incline?? Does 4-low work just fine in these situations??
I'm just wondering if you are expecting too much out of 2 or 4 high on a hill??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. It does ok on level ground even though it seems to rev up more than any vehicle I've driven. Positioned on an incline is where I feel it's weak, especially backing up. 4L seems to work fine in all situations. I was alarmed that I could hold it wide open and it not even spin. As you say I may be expecting too much but I this is the only experience I've had with an RC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming this may improve with more horsepower from the engine or just use low range on the hills. By the way, in no way did I mean for this to be negative toward my RC, I love this truck. It fits me perfect, hauling my kids, hunting and fishing trips, camping, pulling, and wheel'in. I plan on proceeding with the restoration as money allows.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think it sounds like a tranny issue.. Mine has similar habits.. But occaisionally the symptoms move around.. Only reverse.. Only drive (as every gear).. Only 4 low.. slow to engage.. just depends on its mood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say the tranny cause my 318 in my r/c seems weak with 170K on it but I have a rebuilt tranny by jasper in it and the engine doesnt rev high to go it runs pretty much normal just doesnt get there very fast... I would think if the engine was weak it wouldnt be able to rev high would bog down if the tranny was actually put more of a load on it. I'd a IH Scout that wouldnt move out of even a ford's way (engine revved really high needed fourwheel low just to get in garage) but then I changed the tranny filter and fluid and could smoke the tires coming out of the garage. BIG DIFFERENCE on that :) Hope this helps. Oh and check your tranny lines it might just not be pumping the fluid fast enough maybe a small clog like after a couple hundred fast food stops for us. Lol Good luck I am going to need it myself.. just waiting for this 318 to blow up dont know if I should rebuild it or sell the truck and get something else

Rich
85 Ramcharger
79 Scout II

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You maybe on to something. Now that you mentioned it, I remember the guy @ Jim's (transmission shop) said the lines from the tranny through the radiator and back needed to be cleaned out. The fluid and the tranny were burnt so bad he was concerned about contaminating the rebuilt tranny. The guy even gave me a can of cleaner to blow out the lines. I wasn't there the day the tranny went back in so I'm not sure how much cleaning went on. I'll do some more inspection and another fluid and filter change. Thanks!

Also, is anyone running a transmission cooler, is it worth the money? If so what kind/brand/size is recommended?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
any cooler would be a help ,in a warm climate the bigger the better i would say,some are available with a by-pass built in so it can warm up when running in cooler temps.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I'm wondering if that low-reverse band needs to be adjusted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The transmission fluid seems to be fine. The level is ok and the fluid does not seem to be discolored or have an ordor. As far as changing fluid and filter and blowing out the lines I havn't completed that yet-maybe this weekend.

Talking with a friend who has a full size 80 something 4x4 Bronco 302 w/stock size tires. I realize this is not a direct comparsion but he said he had been in situations where his truck wouldn't move or spin in 4H. He felt like his problem was the engine being weak.

My question is if the engine is reving as if to move and nothing happens then something is giving somewhere. The crank is turning the transmission but the power stops with the clutch? Is this slipping action going to result in breakdown later?

·
29,380 Posts
RedBone said:
My question is if the engine is reving as if to move and nothing happens then something is giving somewhere. The crank is turning the transmission but the power stops with the clutch? Is this slipping action going to result in breakdown later?
The "give" is in the torque converter (you do not have a clutch with an auto), is uses hydraulics (simple explanation) to replace the clutch.
The slipping action won't result in an immediate failure, but if you was to continue to do this an absurd amount, it would create unessesary heat which will ruin your trans over time.
Simple solution......just use 4 low in those situations, otherwise, what are you saving it (4 low) for??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts