Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a decent leak on the front of engine. Thought maybe the oring on dip stick leaking but it seems like a lot. I am losing coolant somewhere also. Can't figure out where. Checked plugs and oil and it's not a head gasket. Seems to be wetter on the passenger side of engine.

1985 W150 Royal SE. 5.9 360 727 3 speed auto

·
Administrator
62,269 Posts
Can you confirm if it is coolant, or oil?

I'm thinking it may be the front main, otherwise known as the front crankshaft seal. Get some pics that show all the pulleys, from both sides, and we might be able to confirm or deny my thoughts.

Reactions: xmoweryx

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah picking up a gallon of degreaser this weekend I plan on giving the whole drive train a good soak and rinse. Gotta figure out where the transfer case is leaking too.

As far as the leak on front. It doesn't seem like anything but oil building up. I'm not super confident the hoses aren't just leaking coolant. I replaced them all besides the heater lines. And they've been shortened so many times I think it's just time to replace them.

I don't regularly drive this truck except for in winter. And normally it was just like a 40 mile round trip every few days. And at most I lost like a quart of oil over the whole winter. And maybe half a gallon of coolant. Which isnt terrible. But I'd just rather not leak at all so diagnosing a new leak isn't so hard to track down. Transfer case leak kinda aggravated me a little because I gotta crawl on the ground to fill it

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There's a video looking a little on the intake which is really wet with oil. And some of the front of engine and I got a few pictures behind harmonic balancer and one of the top of timing cover that's really wet with oil

·
Administrator
62,269 Posts
The only way the oil can get behind that dampener is through the front seal. The rest is likely from the oil being blown back by the fan.

Good time to do a timing chain, waterpump, hoses, and new seals and gaskets on the front end.

About a 50/50 chance the dampener has a grove worn where the seal rubs, so you may need to put a sleeve on the dampener. You will see them when you look up the timing kits. You can get the kits with or without the sleeve.

Get the kit with the sleeve, and you will not need it, get the one without the sleeve, and you will need it. Thats life.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
887 Posts
The kit price is about the same. I just did mine. Put down something big enough to hold a decent amount of fluid. Not sure if I’m allergic to anti freeze or if I got enough on my arms to break out in hives Lol.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,131 Posts
Yes, get some Super Clean and soak the engine down with it and then hit it with a power washer (watch out for the carb and distributor/coil) and then drive it around for a couple of weeks and then look for the leaks as they will be quite prevalent after cleaning the engine. The engine should run cooler also all nice and clean.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I degreased it was much as I could. Looks like there's a leak on passenger side of timing cover. And I'm sure valve covers leak a little as well. But I can tell after running the engine for 10 minutes that's it around the timing cover next to the dip stick area and it's dripping down on cross member. Hopefully that's why's there oil on the oil pan and tranny and not a rear main seal. I don't have the resources to pull tranny and transfer case. As far as transfer case goes. I guess I'm gonna have to actually drive it around a little bit to sling some fluid around for it to leak

·
Administrator
62,269 Posts
The rear seal is a two piece deal, not hard at all to change.

Reactions: xmoweryx

·
Administrator
62,269 Posts
Yes. It is inside the rear most crank bearing cap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there is a slick tool for do'ing the rear main called a " sneaky pete " see below

View attachment 630504
Yeah I'm probably gonna have to do that. I know there probably a way of just massaging the new one in by tapping it or something. But I can totally see my self getting too aggressive and ruining the new seal

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update. Found the transfer case leak it's the cover that holds the speedo cable. It's been leaking pretty much non stop since I degreased it. So I assume the built up grease was almost acting like a seal for it because it's much worse now lol. Haven't drove it at all since I degreased it and it's got a big puddle from that.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
remove speedo cable , mark position of speedo drive [ it can be installed 4 different ways - 3 are wrong ] remove speedo drive , remove drive shaft , remove D-shaft yoke , remove tail housing , make new gasket and replace output seal and put it back together

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
The speedo drive that can go in more than one way. I thought it had an O-ring & thought this was where his leak was coming from. Or was it at the housing itself, yes that is gasket.

Bucky

1 - 20 of 24 Posts