Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i would like some info on installing a 46rh in my 1979 trailduster, can i use the np203 or a np205 what else will i need for this conversion, i do understand that drive shafts need to be shorten and lengthen. what else will in need? will all the 727 linkages in my tailduster work with the 46rh?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
NP241 should work too.

My '90 RC has the 46rh and 241 factory.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when you obtain a 46RH I would also get the 241 case that mates to it , with some work the 727 linkage should be useable , be sure to adjust the throttle pressure , 46RH is longer ( for the od ) so crossmember mounting is different a little , get what you can in that regard .  the 518 AKA 46RH came with either a 241 chain t/case OR a mated 205 gear t/case . Pass side drop '93 and older . 

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
...I have mated a 203 to a 47rh (same tail as a 46rh), and while yes it is doable I don't think I'd recommend it unless you reallyreallyreally want a 203 in there.  Lemme know if you want the details...

- Sam

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
u2slow said:
NP241 should work too.

My '90 RC has the 46rh and 241 factory.
Yep...As well as a 23 spline NP205. NP208 will not work without modification.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
blocks6v5d said:
will it still be all wheel drive ? i mean with no hub the you have to lock
The factory 46RH/NP241 does not use locking hubs, yet have the more durable spindle & hub design. These front axles have the disconnect in the front axle housing instead. The 241 is a part-time transfer case... no true AWD mode as the tcase lacks the internal differential of the 203.

FWIW, there's a NP242 tcase found in Dakotas, Durangos and Jeeps. It has an AWD-Hi mode along with all the part-time modes. The catch is they only came with a driver-side output. At that point you can only really consider it if you're swapping out the full-time axle also...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.