Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my fuel filter ,I read some where there is a way to take the pressure of the line so you don't get fuel every where . how do you do that. An other thing when my truck gets to about 1/2 tank of fuel ut starts harder than when it is full .Wondering why has new fuel pump. 1988 Ram 250 318 auto 4X4.

G

·
that does sound like a fuel filter issue cause the dirt and crud in the tank sinks down to the bottom of
the tank...

there should be a fuel pressure release valve the only problem is idk where it is, but it should be somewhere along the fuel line i would think...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The TBI engines don't have a fuel pressure relief valve like the multiport injection does.  Their is a way to bleed down the system using the injector, but I'm not familiar on how to do that.

The hard starting could be from the fuel line in the tank getting old and allowing the system to loosing pressure.

·
Registered
29,389 Posts
theres only 25 psi and l,d do it at the filter on the frame rail in front of the tank

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Yeah, just let it sit for 30 minutes or so and carefully take the lines loose.  There isn't much pressure and not much fuel will come out.  I shut my '88 Ramcharger off and let it cool for a bit just to keep it from being hot under the truck with the fuel vapors and then just pulled it loose.  I don't remember any fuel spraying around to any memorable extent.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've done it a couple of times on my '89.  May be reasonable pressure, but not much volume.  Just loosen the clamp, wrap a rag around the hose and ease it off of the filter.  The rag will absorb the brief spray.

The bigger mess comes from the filter itself.  It's big and holds a fair amount of fuel, so it can be helpful to plug one end while you're working on the other.   Have everything ready and at hand and move quickly and you can o it without much mess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy It just started the hard starting when I have a full tank doesn't seem to do it . Let you know .I also have changed the fuel line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.