Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
NV4500 tranny. It's basically a NP435 with overdrive. At least a couple people here have done it. You need the new bell, new x-member, t/case adapter, and you will have to shorten the driveshaft.

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
you can still use a NV4500. Now your swap will be easier. There is also a NV3500. Its ratio's are closer together and it doesn't have a super low first gear like the 4500. Its also not as heavy duty of a transmission but Dodge installed them in all the 94 up 1/2 tons with a 318 engine.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
there are people using the DougNash/Richmond 5 sp in mopars if this is a hot rod. also people are using the Tremac TKO and even some mopar guys have adapted over the GM version of the T56 and added the dodge internals.

what is the meant purpose? hot rod or tow truck?

thatll dictate gearing needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to drive dont hot rod to much.Just looking for overdrive for the hiway.It get pretty good gas milage at 55 but at 70 goes to hell fast.318 motor with auto the trans is getting due for an overhaul.And I hate auto trans.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
If you could find one there is also an nv 5600, six speed.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
for diesel only (unless bell housing adapter is fabbed)
very expensive
a used take out unit is about $4000. plus ud need buncha other fabricated crap and you still have only like maybe 4 useful gears. no one needs a 6:1 first gear ratio on the street. gotta be such a gear drop between 1 and 2 i could imagine a gasser stalling between shifts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No big drops between gears in the nv5600 but the bell is also the front bearing holder for the shafts, so you can't just change bells. I'm using a t-36 5 speed out of an IH in my one ton road truck I'm building, these show up in a lot of the loadstar grain trucks that are going for junk now, you have to have the register hole cut, about 60$. I bought 2 for 100$ each. T34 is an O/D, t-35 and t-36 are direct high, one has lower first gear than the other. Much beefier than the np435, they have never been made in a configuration for married transfer case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts