Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Sorry to be starting a new thread on this but I tried sending PMs to Jungle Jim and Mad Max but nothing is showing in my "sent items" folder so I don't know if they went through.  Furthermore, It seems like the information on these suspension improvements are scattered across a billion threads and there is no guide on what components go with what.  I've spent the better part of my afternoon reading and I feel like I have a bit of a handle on things but I'd  like to start getting a parts list going so that I can place an order and pick it up when I head down to the US.

To start off, I have a 1993 W250 (so Cummins/4x4) with an auto trans.

My goals: 1)Fix the horrendously awful, kidney bruising ride. 2) Maintain my hauling capacity, both in the box and at the hitch. 3) Either maintain the stock ride height or lift it no more than 4" so I don't have to replace all of my hitch components.

My budget: Would be nice to keep everything under $2k but I am willing to pay more for something that works.

Questions:

Is the Jungle Jim rear shackle flip bracket the right one for my application or should I just go with the Mad Max style stock hanger flip?  Which one gets me to the height I need?

It sounds like 56" Chevy springs are the way to go in the rear (but I'm open to suggestions).  Will I need to move the forward rear spring hanger or can I leave it alone?

What do I need to do in the front?  Is there any point in messing with anything up there?  I need new front springs anyway so now would be the time to fix stuff that needs to be fixed or will improve ride quality.

Which front springs should I be going with to support the weight of the cummins and is there a great benefit to going with longer springs or will I see the most improvement by doing the rear?

Thanks for taking the time to help a guy out.  :)

*eta* Oh, and since everyone loves photos, I attached one of the old girl :D

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when ya send PM'S and want to keep a record , look up above , and click on the save copy thing , then there's a record kept ...  one of my 3/4 tons does ride hard , but only when its empty , put a good load on it and its a different truck . It seems to be mostly the rear , I won't change it because I do load it and that's how leaf springs work , strong is stiff . Longer is softer so .... Jim can set you up with the stuff you need , me ? I'd use all the things from 1 source , or method that way I know it works , which ever the method ... 1 thing I would NOT use are springs from rough country if I wanted a better ride ... but that is just my experience with them ... 

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
The longer the leafs the better the tide. For the rear I'd recommend going up to a 63" spring. Check out a truck I did a while ago, post #592, here -

https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/big-mack-(-here's-the-beef-)/550/

It shows how far I had to relocate both the front and rear mounts with lots of pics.

For the front I'd go with Jungle's 52" kit - that's the best engineered bolt-in kit on the market {cool}

- Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mad Max said:
The longer the leafs the better the tide. For the rear I'd recommend going up to a 63" spring. Check out a truck I did a while ago, post #592, here -

https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/big-mack-(-here's-the-beef-)/550/

It shows how far I had to relocate both the front and rear mounts with lots of pics.

For the front I'd go with Jungle's 52" kit - that's the best engineered bolt-in kit on the market {cool}

- Sam
OK, that's good to know. I'll take a look under the truck and see what I'm able to do. So you didn't bother doing a shackle flip with the 63" springs, eh? Are they still Chevy springs or what do the 63" units come out of?

I'm interested in the JJ stuff but I ran all of the numbers and for all the hangers, front and rear, and I'd be looking at $1500 Canadian and that's before buying springs, shocks and whatever else I'd need. Not sure that I'm interested in paying that much for fabricated brackets since this is what I do for a living and I know I could make all of this stuff much cheaper. Dunno if JJ would put together a package deal as he hasn't responded to my PM yet.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
Jim's good people - he'll get back with you asap (assuming he got your original ping(s)).

There are literally endless choices for leaf springs, but personally all things considered I prefer the ones from ProComp.  I have this little chart I use for considering which ones I'd use (all are Chevy springs) - for a HD pickup I really like the 13211 and 13711, both 63" units, and both will require relocating the mounts.  ANd yah for a 'standard' pickup that is hauling the tension setups typically tend to handle better, while the shackle flip setups are typically for big lifts and/or big articulation (serious off road use).

Either way you go you'll want about a 20*-30* shackle angle at rest with all weight on wheels, then make sure the shackles don't swing past center at max compression or extension...

Pro Comp Leaf Springs
        48"                      52"                      56"                      63"
  11211 (2.5")         
                                                                                    13211 (3.5")
  11411 (4")          13311 (4")          13511 (4")
                                                                                    13711 (5.5")
  11511 (6")          13411 (6")          13611 (6")

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I tow/haul with a rear shackle flip. (all 4 hangers moved; 60" 2ndgen leafs) Ride is excellent. What I do notice is that when over 1.5ton payload, there's some noticeable body roll and axle wrap. Nothing scary. I could probably add a sway bar or air bags for more support.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I’m pretty new to the modding world, and I love the idea of longer springs. My new project is an 82 w150, with a 6” (skyjacker?) lift, how could I make my springs longer to better the ride, without loosing ride height?
I guess I’m mostly wanting to do the front, I’m pretty sure my lift is all leaf. So would I be in the market for the famous shackle flip plus extended leafs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.