Dodge RamCharger Central banner

W150 rear driveshaft/ traction bar thoughts

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  84ram78cj 
#1 ·
Can I use a h-joint from an extra front shaft to make a double cardan on my rear shaft? 6" springs and 1" block on rear axle.. not a terrible angle but u-joints every 6-8 months... And also searching around for a good traction bar set up... Off road direct bar looking good so far but still searching around.

#2 ·
Yes, but you will need to angle the pinion up to be inline with the driveshaft, which can cause pinion oiling issues.

As for a traction bar, use the type with the shackle where it mounts to the frame.

#3 ·
Remember no less than 1 degree and no more than 3 degrees on U-joint relationship to pinion and transfer case yokes.  Rocking the rear differential to raise the pinion can drastically reduce the angle of the U-joint relationship.  As Elwenil stated though too much angle can create lubrication issues. 

I have no opinion or information on track bars.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I kinda figured the centering ball also, I've got a set of 4° shims that came factory on my skyjacker springs my rear yoke to u- joint looks beautiful as in the picture but my front sags down to much out the transfer case.. should I go up to a 6° to try and help the t-case angle?  I was thinking about the double cardan and my 4° or 6° would be spot on.  It's just 6" and 35s

Attachments

#6 ·
With that angle and a double U-joint shaft, you are basically making the upper joint at the transfer case do all the work and since it has no mate to cancel out it's elliptical movement, it's got to be vibrating pretty bad.  You put a front output yoke and Double Cardan joint on the upper end of that shaft and you should be good.  I'd probably grind the stops off a bit on both shaft as well.  Of course you could also upgrade to a heavier version of the Double Cardan joint.

#7 ·
Yeah a second option is always better, I've got everything to put the front yoke and shaft h-joint from extra parts but I want to keep my same shaft diameter on the rear shaft, so I'd just snatch the h-joint and keep my yoke straps holding it on the front of the rear shaft.. make sense. This is the traction bar I'm considering, sucks I've got to re-do my exaust to make it work.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.