Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys.  I've been searching all up and down the forms *her and at pirate, and h8mud etc etc) and I know this is an age old question.  My issue many of  the posts are just as old (some 14yr +) as the question itself and linked photos or sites are no longer available or maybe there is just newer better information.  So here is where I'm at.  I've an 85 W150 (318) with significant sag in the front (negative arch).  From my searching,  a shackle flip seems like the way to go, but the most informative posts I have come across seem to cover the rear and and vaguely mention the front (or as I said photo/sites are broken).  I believe the most relevant information I read says I can get a parts truck and just take the front half of the rear hangers and move them to the front.  But what spring am I using?  Stock original spring or a chevy spring?  I'm on a tight budget, and don't own welding equipment so I'm looking for something I can do with air/hand tools and and a BFH.  I see Gatsbyauto sells some hangers, but if this is just a matter of going to the yard and grinding some rivets to get hangers on the cheep I'm down.  Im not looking for mega flex or off road lift, I'd just kinda like to drive my truck at stock or even slightly lifted height.  Anyone have a recent write up or photos or information to help get me going or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Just get replacement springs.  A shackle flip isn't the answer for worn out springs, replacing them is.  Otherwise you are just getting lift with no improvement of the ride or weight handling ability.  If you want to add lift, this would be the time to do it and buy a lift system with front and rear springs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but doesn't really address my questions.  I actually had included in my OP that I had priced out new springs and that they were not in the budget (but then removed it because I didn't think it was relevant).  I want a very cost effective method to get my front end up.  I decided a flip will do what I need at the moment.  So to recap  I am looking for current information/photos on doing a shackle flip...not buying new springs.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
If you want to do it wrong, that is up to you, but I try not to give bad advice, and I honestly believe using a shackle flip is just going to compound your problems.  Also, if you are talking about a shackle flip to raise the front end, you obviously haven't looked under the truck as a flip is not possible due to the fact that the front springs are already under the shackle, so no flip is going to do anything for you there.  I say again, replace the springs.  If you don't have the money, then save up and do the job right and only have to do it once.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
the cheapest and best way to add front lift is get a set of used front springs and just shuffle them it your springs = 3 inches

NOTE / the shackle flip [ when l designed it the name was "shackle inversion"] is for the REAR only

·
Registered
467 Posts
El Cheapo answer is a trip to scrap yard buy a matched set of springs , and add leafs to your springs staggering lengths between your stock leafs and it should work out cheaply for you . As already stated save yourself a ton of labor and headaches , buy new springs , Alcan is one option to look into . They cost a few bucks but it’s investment to the good .

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Alcan are the high end for leaf springs.  You can get a set of stock replacement springs for a little over $100 a pack on Rockauto.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
um, the o.p. ... shackle "flip" question .... look at the "shackles" on your front springs , just HOW would anyone "flip" them ? I'm thinking the "flip" applies to the rear shackles not fronts anyway .
cheap good way to raise the front some ? yepper, agree w/ dodgeboys  , a spring shop and 1 new leaf , ( selected with a tape measure off his rack , measure from center bolt hole to spring ends ) or a junk yard and a leaf stolen from a set ... just need new bolts to assemble it ... use the longest spring that will support the "main" leaf of your existing spring set from end to end . a little too long ? quickly flame off the extra , smooth the cuts... 

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
You can't shackle flip the front….Heres why. Shackles come in two forms. One form is in tension, the other is in compression. Tension shackles refers to those shackles which have the springs mounted to the top of the shackle and the frame is mounted to the bottom of the shackle. This makes the shackle operate in tension because the mounts are trying to pull apart

Now look at the front shackles. The front shackles are in compression because the spring is mounted to the bottom and the frame is mounted to the top. This makes the shackle operate in compression, because the mounts are trying to push together

When you do a shackle flip, you start with a tension shackle and flip it so that the loads are opposite, basically turning the tension shackle into a compression shackle. The front shackles are already compression shackles.

Here is an example of a shackle in tension;

And here is an example of a shackle in compression;

Ed

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
;) 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.