Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 90 W150 needs ball joints. The Haynes manual lists 2 types of auto locking hubs, neither of which are like ours. We have a metal cap on the end of the spindle. After removing this, there is a snap ring on the end of the axle. If I remove this, is it spring loaded behind that. We have to take the steering knuckle off to replace the ball joints. The manual says its a 44-8FD front axle. We need some help, pictures or a walk through on how to do this. Trying to teach my 16 yr. old how to keep his truck running, nor teach him a new language (swearing at it)

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
You have a CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) axle, which is the only D44 axle used from late '84-'93.  Check out the How To section, there should be a How To in there on a Milemarker hub swap that covers the CAD gear removal.  You may as well toss that Haynes manual and get at least a Chiltons or better yet, a Factory Service Manual for your truck's year.  The Haynes manual should show how to disassemble the hub and bearing assemblies but it may only show the manual hubs.  Keep in mind that manual hubs will directly swap in place of your CAD gears so the rest of the hub and everything is basically the same.  One note, the CAD axle does not use an inner spindle bearing one one side, but I can never remember which.  If you replace those bearings as part of the service, do not put a bearing in where there was none before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts