Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am Arjan Kolkman from the netherlands, i am the proud owner of an 1976 dodge W200, i want to put in an diesel engine, i now the cummins is the best one for this swap, but is there maby someone who has put an John-Deere engine in a Ram? ::)

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You can do anything you want with some creative thinking, a welder and a torch. And of course money. Somewhere i have a magazine where they put a JD engine in a Chevy truck. I don't know what they did for adaptors. Was there a particular engine you had in mind that JD makes?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
guy back in the states (my former home of residence) has a cummins bulldozer engine hooked to the original tf727. he took the tranny into shop traced out bolt pattern of cummins block and his tranny and had an adapter drilled and cut.

mounts were extremly easy. only wiring is starter and generator. not even shut off solenoid, becuase he has a manual valve instead.

used radiator from big block 440. also lifted body 3" with body lift so he could clear the huge offset fan.

G

·
There are some mid-west guys with John Deer motors in thier Dodge trucks- either Turbo diesel resourse or Dodge diesel sites have some mentions of it.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
It's possible to install any diesel engine you like into any vehicle. But there are at least two things I would consider before making the swap. Physical size of the engine and power output. Diesels come in many different sizes, some will be large engough that modifications to the firewall will be nessary to allow the engine to fit. You'll need measurements of both the engine and engine compartment to determine fit.

Power output is another concern. Engines that have low power tend to be fustrating to drive, you'll hold up traffic. If you plan to pull heavy loads, up hills, the low powered diesels will waste more fuel because the lack of power will force you to run at full throttle in a lower gear, for a much longer period of time, compared to a higher output engine. Even big displacement diesels can come with low power output. I would try and avoid non turbo'ed diesels because these typically run very sluggish and are extremely limited to making increases in power.

You'll need to make some sort of adapter to fit a JD engine to your current tranny.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts