Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the ammeter in my '86 RC does not work--probably the previous owner just bypassed it, will have to check one day when I'll take the dashboard out.

What I wanted to ask: of course, I would like to use a voltmeter instead. Is there any howto/advice which gauge to choose and how to install it so that it replaces the stock ammeter and looks well, preferrably like a factory option?

With the paired gauges of '86 line

it seems somewhat on the difficult side :(

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Don't feel bad bud, I don't think I've ever seen one of that style that works, mine included. At least they don't burn the trucks down like the earlier full current gauges did! I don't have a solution for a stock look, I just mounted a mini voltmeter on a cigarette lighter plug. If I want a stock look, I pull it out and throw it in the glove box.

G

·
When I did my Ampmeter bypass project, I installed a Sunpro Voltmeter in the dash cluster where the Ampmeter used to be. Had to do a bit of work with a rotary file to get clearance for the negative /positive connections on the voltmeter but it fits pretty well and looks pretty good. It even has it's own internal lighting so you don't have to depend on the lame dashboard lighting to illuminate the gage.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
what about an A-pillar mounted voltmeter? There gauge pods available, paint them in factory color and it should look pretty decent. Plus, you have space for 2 gauges, so you can fit a voltmeter and maybe some water temp or whatever suits your need.

G

·
Sadly I do not have any pictures (or a digital camera). Like I said, it took a bit of work with a rotary file (15-20 minutes) but the Sunpro gage fits nicely in the cluster. Good luck with it.

G

·
OC, upon closer scrutiny of the picture of your dash, I see yours is different than mine! I have a 76 RC with individual gages in the cluster so replacing the Ampmeter with a Voltmeter was no problem. This may not work in your truck so you may want to reconsider. Perhaps pillar mounted gages like Santak suggests would be a better option.

·
Administrator
60,662 Posts
I might be wrong, but I thought that the 91- up Rc's and trucks came with a voltmeter instead of the amp ::)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.