Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Voltage Regulator - UPDATED.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  chrysler300le 
G
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an 1988 Ramcharger with the 5.2 L. The truck has developed a problem with the charging system. The battery is slowly dying. I checked computer codes and it gave me a code 16 (loss of battery voltage detected with engine running) and a code 47 (charging voltage too low for too long). The alternator was rebuilt approximately 2 years ago; I think my problem might be with the voltage regulator. I don't know where this thing is; I've heard that its built into the alternator. Can anyone give me some pointers here? Thanks.

My alternator has a black plastic block attached to the back of it that has 3 wires coming out of it. This block attaches to 4 points on the back of the alternator. Is this block the voltage regulator?

i have attached a very, VERY primitive drawing of what the back of my alternator looks like. I hope somebody can help me out here. thanks again!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yea your regulator is on the firewall, not on the alt.

#5 ·
If he is getting codes that shuld indicate that it has a ECM which will have the VR built into it.You can add a earlier style VR shown above into the system, your outhe option is to replace the ECM if that is whats wrong.Test the Alt & let us know

#6 ·
Does the '88 have an ammeter in the dash? If so, check the connections on the back of the ammeter to make sure that they are tight. All of the current from the alternator goes through the ammeter, if the connections are corroded problems will arise.

#8 ·
For 88 you have a different alt. I'm pretty damn sure it dont' have a VR. Its either built in or its done completely by the computer. Your truck dont' have a ammeter either. They changed the alt for FI vehicles because the old style chrysler alt from the 60's and 70's had too many spikes and woudln't work with FI. Have yoru alt tested and more then likely it needs replaced.

#9 ·
440Ramcharger said:
Does the '88 have an ammeter in the dash? If so, check the connections on the back of the ammeter to make sure that they are tight. All of the current from the alternator goes through the ammeter, if the connections are corroded problems will arise.
yeah, this is incorrect. have the alternator tested, that would be a good starting place.

Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.