Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the risks if the voltage regulator is not used on a RC. I am rewiring my RC from scratch and was wondering what systems on the RC really need a voltage regulator. I am using a MSD ignition and the RC will have a push botton start. I am also using 2 batteries with an isolator. I should be able to at least start the RC by weeks end but was wondering what electrical systems on it really need a voltage regulator.

·
Super Moderator
30,242 Posts
Taz is right, if you have an alternator, you need a voltage regulator.
No regulator=too much voltage=bad things!
Or are you referring to the ballast resistor?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the regulator is plugged in line between the alternator and the batteries? The regulator has two plugs on it. I assume one wire in and the other out. Which one would run from the alternator to the regulator and then from the regulator to battery? I don't have any of the original wiring so I should have made better mental notes of all this. Looking at schematics doesn't clear things up either.

G

·
You have to have a regulator, period. Without it the alternator will charge until everything is fried.

The two wires both run to the alternator with one of them junctioned from the ignition switch. Leave the regulator in place. You can switch over to an internally regulated alternator, but it's still the same principle, you need the regulator

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I need the regulator. How does it work exactly? I assume it does just what it says and "regulates" and does not shut off the alternator. I just need to figure out how it will be wired in. I assume it is wired in between the batteries and alternator. It only has 2 plugs so it can't be too hard.

There are two spade terminals on the alternator. Is this were the regulator is wired too and then spliced into the ignition? I believe the spade terminals are considered the field terminals. I just need to know how the external regulator works in conjuction with the alternator and how to wire it in.

Thanks for the help so far.

G

·
I just pulled the regulator and all the wiring off mine and tossed em, so let me see if I can do this by memory. There was a red and a green wire from the alt to the regulator. The red wire connects on the driver's side of the regulator and is spliced with the wire from the ignition switch. The red wire connects to the alternator at the terminal towards the driver's side. The green wire runs from the other side of the regulator to the outboard terminal of the alternator. Somebody please correct this if wrong.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PrimerGrey said:
I just pulled the regulator and all the wiring off mine and tossed em, so let me see if I can do this by memory. There was a red and a green wire from the alt to the regulator. The red wire connects on the driver's side of the regulator and is spliced with the wire from the ignition switch. The red wire connects to the alternator at the terminal towards the driver's side. The green wire runs from the other side of the regulator to the outboard terminal of the alternator. Somebody please correct this if wrong.
Are you using an internally regulated alternator? I am thinking of doing that but that would be another 130 and I already have a new alternator and regulator for the RC. I am so close to hitting the start button and want to make sure I have the charging system right so nothing gets fried or toasted.

So the regulator does not go between the batteries and alternator but is hooked into the "side" of alternator and senses the voltage through the field terminals of the alternator and thus regulates the voltage going out to the batteries.

Don

G

·
ramit87 said:
Are you using an internally regulated alternator? I am thinking of doing that but that would be another 130 and I already have a new alternator and regulator for the RC. I am so close to hitting the start button and want to make sure I have the charging system right so nothing gets fried or toasted.

So the regulator does not go between the batteries and alternator but is hooked into the "side" of alternator and senses the voltage through the field terminals of the alternator and thus regulates the voltage going out to the batteries.

Don
That's the way I understand it. I'm using a Delco Remy with internal regulating. I ran the alternator charging wire to a junction on the firewall and the voltage sensing wire to the same junction. Instead of regulating voltage at the alternator, it now "senses" voltage at the main power terminal and adjusts the alternator output according to what's needed at the junction. All of my dash power ups and accessories are routed to this junction so I get full voltage to everything. Works good.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to trust you remembered the hook up of the wires correctly. I will double check it against the hayes manual but the hayes wiring diagrams leave a lot to be desired.

I may try an internally regulated alternator in the future but really don't have the $ to spend now.

Thanks for the help PG. If anyone else can offer any additional advice it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, the alt regulator just controls the alternator field wiring. The alt output voltage is determined by how much it gets in the field, so that's it.

Incidentally, an externally controlled alt is much better than an internally controlled one. The thing is, all the wiring has some internal resistance, and the voltage you want to control is the one at the junction: *not* the one at the alt itself. Besides, with an external regulator you can easily switch to a better regulator if need be (e.g., you want to feed a deep-cycle battery).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OC-Ok tell me where I need to put the regulator in line at-where do I want to regulate the current.

This is how it is currently hooked up.

I have the wire coming from the back of the alternator to the "A" stud on the battery isolator. Then the batteries each hook to the Bat 1 and bat 2 studs on the isolator. One battery will be used for starting only and the other to everything else. The alternator is of course externally regulated and the regulator is not installed. So do I hook it up to the fields on the alternator or somewhere else?

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help. I understand what is going on now with the alternator and regulator. I wired it up last night and hopefully will be able to start it up by this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.