Dodge RamCharger Central banner

vibration on downshift!

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  geronimo 
#1 ·
I feel a vibration/shuddering from below up through the steering wheel when my automatic trans is downshifting just before a stop. I have 88 rc 318, auto 4x4. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Does the vibration occur if you just let off the gas and let the truck decelerate by itself (without using the brakes)? Or does it only occur under braking? I'd check the easy stuff first...brake pads and rotors.

#4 ·
What speeds is this happening at? I've never heard of a transmission itself causing a vibration. Its usually things connected to the tranny, like driveshafts, loose torque converter bolts, that cause vibs. But like ramtuff said, check easy things first, like the brakes, then check your driveshafts, and make sure your tires are all balanced.

#5 ·
It happens at all speeds on the downshifting just before a stop. The brakes(rotors, pads, shoes and drums) have all been replaced. I will check the driveshaft a.s.a.p. The tires are balanced but I will double check them and also the torque converter bolts. Thanks.....

#6 ·
The transmission doesnt' downshift before a stop. Not suppose to anyway. Should stay in third gear all the way to a complete stop. It then automatically goes back to first once at a complete stop. If your tranny isn't doing this then your kickdown linkage is off. If you have a lock up torque converter it could be shuddering.

#8 ·
Update...I get this vibration even on a slow roll coming to a stop or just rolling to a stop. It comes up from the bottom front through the steering wheel. The vibration is vertical not horizontal like tires being out of balance. My tires are 33"x12.50's and run out perfect at speed.

#9 ·
geronimo said:
Update...I get this vibration even on a slow roll coming to a stop or just rolling to a stop. It comes up from the bottom front through the steering wheel. The vibration is vertical not horizontal like tires being out of balance. My tires are 33"x12.50's and run out perfect at speed.
what tread pattern do you have? if this is a big lug offroad mud type tread it might be casuing it

eric

#10 ·
Actually they are Super Sport HT's purchased at Walmart made by Goodyear. I would say the tread is a mud cleat but not knobby in any way

#11 ·
geronimo said:
Actually they are Super Sport HT's purchased at Walmart made by Goodyear. I would say the tread is a mud cleat but not knobby in any way
i know the exact tire you are talking about since i was looking to get the same ones. you are right thattread isnt heavy enough to cause what you are describing..

BTW, i thought the SS ht's were made by kelly

eric

ps: how do oyu like the tires?

#12 ·
I believe Good Year owns Kelly so either way your both right on that.

By what you described you eliminated that its your tranny. Since its coming through your steering wheel, have your entire front end checked out and your tires checked for balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.